• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re, fuel leakes, general updates and hellos

So Mike let me come hes selective about that ;)

Lots been going on. Picked up a f150 to drive while my truck was down but ended up giving it to my daughter.

IMG_8835(1).jpg.7d71bcfdc4dc7705662869a9bb8d0133.jpg

So i was out a daily driver stuck driving our work truck a 04 cummins.

My tourque convertor went out with 170k on it. So i bought one local after seeing the guts they put inside 

The convertor in my truck was supposed to be low stall it was stock, didnt have a one peice fiber, it wasnt brazzedd for support basically the cheapest thing you could get 

So i got a lower stall billet piston brased, one peice fiber, reamed for more volume.

So i decided to tear the case down

20230702_122119.jpg.128c5381b9344acf69e3cf3a7a889a76.jpg

Like completly down 

Orderd the gpz clutch kit from revmax a set bushings for the trans, seals throughout out.

Made the tools to press it apart and together. Was scared a few times i did it wrong. Over drive took me 3 attempts to be confident i had it right.

Over drive unit with 4" exhaust pipe in the press

tapatalk_563993183.jpeg.640d5103a07abca103bc2d57fdf7445c.jpeg

tapatalk_832244964.jpeg.65665494e5f009f54ead437c8ee8dcda.jpeg

Long peice of pipe because intermediate shaft is inside to line up over drive unit.

that is a 830lb spring in overdrive unit 

tapatalk_-335128022.jpeg.3a3da86a07a623c21850a98c48793e2e.jpeg

For some the transmission has always been the most interesting part if the truck for me.

I now kinda know how the fluid flows but still no clue how it actually works. It just does i guess.

Also talked to dynamic alittle bit hes a big help.

On tearing down my trans i found a basically stock tranny. Oem fiber counts with a kevlar front band  pretty dissapointed in this find.

Revmax kit puts more fibers with machined pressure plates to fit them. The raybestos gpz fibers are supposed to be good. 

tapatalk_-1273830113.jpeg.10c864e3c0d3c6ccf4a6f966d388141e.jpeg

The valve body already had the transgo tfod kit in it so leave well enough alone.

Nope i picked up the transgo pro recalibration kit.

The recalibration kit is pretty in depth took me a few hours to go through step by step. As in all things some love this kit and some hate it saying it run uneeded pressures.  

The kit supplies special seals to withstand the pressures on forward clutches   all forward gears now capable to see full pressure 

All in all it took about 2 weeks for me having no clue what im doing to follow the atsg book step by step.

I maybe could have done it without the book but k owing where and how to check fir clearances and end play was critical. 

I did price local shops but 3-6 weeks out and 3500-5000 price guestimates made me pull the trigger and chance it.

It did turn out well this transmission is freaking tight were as the last refresh was like a loose rubber band and  i thought that was good.

With the extra clutches lower stall better convertor and reworked valve body she will pull a house down without touching the throttle  

Ounce on the throttle it flat goes no slipping crisp firm quick shifts.  Zero hunting any where

Ive bumped smarty tourqe to 6 on catcher 9 . Before it would slipp on the bottom . So had tourqe at 4

Seriously thinking about getting a real programmer like you guys all run now.

20230703_225237.jpg.43fc2e73760561eb38e30ac457f9f2ed.jpg

notice the park rod clip

20230704_005617.jpg.7fdf6918f48ed3707fcf7284893509c7.jpg

At the end of the atsg book you put the over drive unit on and it congratulates you for finishing.  Im like yup if it even works.

Im now watching for another 47re so i can slow build it over a couple years.

Anyways ive got a few hundred miles on my tranny now one that this time i actually know whats inside because i put it there .

So far realy liking it. One of those things where it shifts gears the turbo screams and you just grin n push the pedal down alittle farther

Anyone can do this the 727 is pretty easy to work on with the picture book in hand

20230703_233351.jpg.4d1be1139eaa4f819535e6c44edb748d.jpg20230704_090616.jpg.9a9bd19c08017feb535f8d06e16b5b7d.jpg20230704_095639.jpg.732dfe25615fd2b0d1f097b026e6135a.jpg20230704_120514.jpg.76c7d06943276c19c5bcb66a428411f9.jpg20230706_172636.jpg.bef0364a184c8fa9555fede4559640d0.jpg

Ive orderd seat foam/covers, door grab things that hold armrest on, head light lenses cheap clear to put the morimoto leds in (still badass)

Guess well just run this truck till it turn to dust

Ill be doing away with the casto vwashers on front axle and fabbing adjustable lower control arms to be able to set castor easily and not have it change while driving.

Fixed fuel leak on return line on back of the head while trans was out. Verfied it doesn't still leak there. 

Still havevantitheft active as you have to prime pump to start it. Can still smell it but dont know where its leaking.

Randamn sunset i shot and me in night jeep run with the crew.

Thanks mike for allowing me back.

20230616_212227.jpg.aa00f3654703a8815aac0ec84652f908.jpgIMG_7845.jpg.6011ece7e125f62c6dc13f2f31d1d011.jpg

Ive been unable to post for quite while but have lurked here and there  glad to see lots of old names .

Also got a new phone and lost mikes number and a few of yours that i knew were in contact with mike.

Then today i noticed i most likly could get mikes contact info back from the dark deep web and i was correct. 

Walla good to be back

Edited by Evan
  • Like 4

Spent 40 minutes on the phone with transgo talking about the 47re valve body and pro recalibration kit. 

I wanted to make some refinements but didnt want to pretend i knew what i was doing. 

This phone call went very well told him i was shifting late 2500 he talked speeds and gov pressure and tv cable. Told him i didnt want to back of tv to shift sooner. 

What we found is i had tv minumum out of wack. Unhooked  tv and still shifted at 2500.

So then he went over things that would cause late shifting. A sleeve installed backwords, sticky valve, miss adjusted minumum. And a spring.

Turned out i was out of wack on minumum. Was able to measure where i had it compared to his notes.  

I reset that and didnt touch pressure left it set at max 185.

I had tv stop at about .5" out i set it at at .7 and shifts happen at  1900-2000 light throttle and 2200 mod throttle 2500 getting after it alittle. 

Transgo spec is minumum stop is out .905  i elected to not go that far. He ssid .7 - .9  is a good range

I have no need to see wide open shifts.  Tv was verified to pull valve full open at full throttle. 

Surprisingly shifts are even quicker and crisper now and truck scoots through the gears even faster 

He had notes stored thst arent in the kit instructions that were very helpfull. 

Im freaking very happy with the driving characters and how this truck now moves down the road. No more rubber streching feel. 

When i had pan off nothing abnormal . I reused fluid since no real reason to change it yet. Will do a service ounce its got a couple thousand miles on it. 

Check bands though ive found bands rarely need adjusted if they're healthy these are new.

For what its worth this hole transmission refresh/build has gone very well. 

Ive learned alot from revmax aswell as some local guru builders. I still have no clue what im doing but its working talking to people.

Ive found the internet is hit n miss on real good help. Seems a jumble of randomness kinda like this thread.

Actually making phone calls and eye contact is huge to me.  

• Like 2

• Owner

Rather tough for me. Now with my Quadzilla on its totally clean, no smoke.

Now select level zero Now ive got a dirty Beast. Sad part is the power is greatly reduced, and EGTs are higher, timing heavily retarded. Made that mistake yesterday being I used the Quadzilla high idle to jump start a Chevy Suburan. I forgot to turn it back to Level 3. I figured this out by Payeete ID. Then I notice my MPG returned, EGTs dropped, smoke was gone.

Funny part if I raced on my tune I'll most likely whip a "dirty girl" truck. This is where Beast shines best.

• Like 1

Yeah but dirty girls are sexy as ****. Sometimes clean isn't what its all cracked up to.

I get petty good mpg and dont smoke normal driving. I do haze alittle. 

I have no doubt your making more power with your tune. The egt thing ive been unsure of since power does make heat regardless of tune.

I can actually run and tow with my set up but im running alittle more turbo. under pressure shes pulling grades pretty clean. Im slightly concerned about head gasket but im not running much timing and watch my pressure pretty close now that im not glued to the temp gauge. 

• Owner
25 minutes ago, Evan said:

I have no doubt your making more power with your tune. The egt thing ive been unsure of since power does make heat regardless of tune

Timing. When all the fuel is burned in the cylinder and nothing is left then when the exhaust occurs there is little expanding gases hence lower EGTs. 

Retard timing which will have burning and expanding gases enter the turbo which now creates boost also. But a part of those gases are wasted creating boost. 

So at 66 MPH I'm at 2k RPMs. In cruise state I'm at about 24° BTDC then when I get into power a little then the timing drops to 17° BTDC.

Now with the Quadzilla on zero, now I'm at 17° BTDC at cruise state same speed and RPM. Under power it drops to 12° BTDC. Now it's got smoke and higher EGTs. Because fuel is wasted in building boost and more fire wasted out the exhaust.

• Like 1

Yes i know.

I just have not decided to afford the quad. It just cost much. Theres always something needed more like turbo, injectors or trans parts.

My current injectors have about 200k on them so again the quad will be pushed to the side.

150s this time supposedly are a better match for my turbo but may require studs pulling grades under a load.  

I spent about 7 years pedaling off temps i guess i can pedal off pressure 

20230714_192529.jpg.dfe8e27579649403f866f0c2e26c95cc.jpg

These headlights are junk. Willbe trying the one peice housings next.

20230713_100640.jpg.3e78bcef64e04545fa12123a046b4a5d.jpg

Old grungy broken lenses was unable to adjust passenger light in vertical plain.

20230711_215445.jpg.cb4d1310140c61bbc2513959d2808517.jpg

Seat foam and cover super easy and feels much better

20230711_221508.jpg.2d35c8eb03b004af39d0e9763131ce55.jpg

Still have not located a source for passenger foam. Did do a new passenger cover.

For what its worth dodges headlights suck almost worth gping duramax just rid myself of these gaud awfull designed headlights. 3rd gens freaking suck too.

• Owner
11 hours ago, Evan said:

I just have not decided to afford the quad. It just cost much. Theres always something needed more like turbo, injectors or trans parts.

Well just to enlighten you. I'm still on my OEM turbo HX35W still with +150 HP injectors (7 x 0.010). Injectors wise I can most likely get you a deal on some injectors. Even a small upgrade in power. Quadzilla would improve the MPG by ditching the stock ECM tune. Might take a peek at what my store has...

https://store.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24-valve/fuel-system/reman-vco-injectors.html

https://store.mopar1973man.com/quadzilla-adrenaline-with-iquad-for-01-02-cummins.html

Id like to see you leave your current tune as is and drop rv or stockish injectors in to compare to the  150s that are currently in there..

The dyno with your truck on it may also make some interesting #s

We know she makes good fuel mileage but what we dont know is what im interested in.

Just how heavily is she leaning on low gears and tiny tires?

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing my transmission cruise control talk over here. Also a few videos from durring transmission work.

The ford i picked up for cheap. Pretty much just so i could have wheels it also showed me how much these dodges suck.

Ive now givin the ford to my daughter

The 3rd gens our work truck

IMG_8826.jpg.145660f6eaf9e18fec3c1476adba26ab.jpg

• Owner

Only reason these truck "sucks" is because of improper setup. Bigger tire ruins the final ratio. Then wider tire tire increase leverage force on ball joints and tie rod stress.

Funny that I've never experienced any of these issues even with nearly 500k miles.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Dude get off the small tire ball joint crap, I get it yours is better.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:42 PM, Great work! said:

Congratulations on your tranny build.

That takes some guts rebuilding.

Thank you it feels good to do it.

Ill probly have to go now since theres no point in being here i have big tires you know

• Owner

Maybe it would nice that I don't have to fix thousands of trucks with the same issue. This is my next customer while I'm camped out in Parma ID. Let's say I've learned how to do it right from all the mistakes I fix on my customers trucks. Being I do learn what not to do why would I do something to create issues? Then ask why do my clients come to me and ask me to fix it? Yup that is Thor to the left of the pic.

16908085642521179372378432122331.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man