• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P-Brake/Brake Symbol & Seatbelt Warning

Hey y'all, long time no see. 

Having been Ram-less for about two years, I could hardly live with myself anymore so I caved in and went ahead and picked up a '99 2500 today. It has some issues, two of which are the warning lights for the parking brake, or brakes? They're to the left of the seatbelt light in the instrument cluster. 

I've tried some googling, but getting few answers. I don't really know where to begin with this, I've checked the switch for the parking brake underneath the dashboard. Unplugged it, but it made no difference. 

Since I'm based in Norway, the chances of finding someone with an actual Dodge scan tool that will read anything other than engine faults are slim to none unless I fly them across half the country. 

The other issue it's having that isn't drivetrain related is the seatbelt light, it'll come on after about 30-60 seconds after startup, whether or not the seatbelt is buckled makes no difference. I have electric seats, and I've found the SCTM underneath the middle seat but this entire system seems like a bit of a mystery to me. 

Looking for any pointers on where to start troubleshooting and things to verify and check. 

On 8/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Brake and ABS lights are a speed sensor issue typically. It could be a bad wheel bearing in the front too.

As for the seat belt double check the buckle switch on the driver side buckle. As for the module it might be easier to change the seats out for a late series without the module.

Alright, thanks. 

Hoping the problem isn't the module, as things like seats aren't all that easy getting a hold of over here. 

Albeit the drivers seat could really do with a replacement. 

• Owner

Like I'm working on a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12V with a electrical draw and already pulled the center seat to access the module to see about fixing the electrical draw of 4.5 to nearly 5 amps. In this case the seat module is working and not part of the problem.

16930760094223118576221984839345.jpg

16930760391513172267549035486879.jpg

As for the ABS and BRAKE lights that is because typically there is a speed sensor error or failure.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like I'm working on a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 12V with a electrical draw and already pulled the center seat to access the module to see about fixing the electrical draw of 4.5 to nearly 5 amps. In this case the seat module is working and not part of the problem.

16930760094223118576221984839345.jpg

16930760391513172267549035486879.jpg

As for the ABS and BRAKE lights that is because typically there is a speed sensor error or failure.

Man that's a nice colour, I'm no fan of the 4th gen bumper but that looks like a nice truck. 

I went over to my dad's and stole his scan tool, left front ABS sensor is dead shorted, new on order. There was a few codes in memory from before, VIN mismatch, short circuits here and there but only the left front remained after deleting DTC's. 

Though now it's making a strange "poof" noise when ignition is on, but seems to work fine other than the odd noise on startup. 

The seat belt warning was giving me a "Pressure Switch Circuit Open/Short" and "SCTM Fault", the first one vanished after fiddling around with the SCTM for a brief moment but the SCTM fault remains, but no warning light. Hooray! 

• 4 weeks later...

My memory is a bit hazy but I have a 98.5 and I had a seat belt light that wouldn't go out I got a used  seat belt module shipped to the UK but there was also a fault with the reel in the seat back IIRC, there's a 2 core wire that goes up the back of the seat under the seat cover to the reel, it goes to a small solenoid or switch which was burnt out, I got a reel shipped which fixed it

• 3 weeks later...