• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Choking at highway speeds

I hate to ask this but I am searched out and don't know what the issue could be. The last couple of times out my truck has developed a weird pulsating, choking, issue while driving. It mostly happens when I am going highway speeds 60-65 and gently get in to the throttle a little more to get up a hill or pass someone. This happens when towing and not towing. If i back out of it it will stop, If I roll into the accelerator more it goes away. It has become a consistent problem. It is the truck in my sig line. So far I 've gone and checked codes.(key trick) Got the 1693 Companion code, had the codes read at autozone and nothing popped up. fuel pressure is consistent at 16 psi when this is happening or not. Sorry, I hate to ask such a vague question but don't know where else to look.

RPMs are stable.

--- Update to the previous post...

What bugs me is the P1693 cannot exist by itsself there is more error codes present you might need a better code reader to get it out.

That's why I was suprised by autozone not finding anything out. Is there another place to plug into the system other than under the dash by the accelerator pedal?

I had a similar issue going home last weekend. 2 days before my CEL came on and i had a tps voltage low, can't remember the code # though. all was running fine and the cel went off later. figured i would check it out better when i got home. on the way home while maintaining a constant speed, the throttle seemed like i was feathering it on and off just a little, though i was not moving my foot. accelarate and it would go away, sometimes for 15 miles sometimes 2 miles. A while back i had alot of problems with my electronics and ended up splicing some of the wires in tps harness. got to thinking it might be part of the problem. pulled into a rest area and pulled the wires int the harnes and sure enough one came completely loose. the light blue wire with black tracer. Made temporary repair and had no more issues. the only time it did it was at highway speed, never did it around town. could just be a loose connection in the tps (apps). hope this helps.

• Owner

This is one reason I will not modify the stock wiring if all possible. :rolleyes: There is a crap load of APPS mods for TQ Conv issues but the funny part is the trans and TQ Conv issues were never there for over 8-9 years now there present. Now people don't look for the reason why it fail or cauing problem they would rather hack up the wiring in a mod to attempt to fix something. Even my High mod doesn't cut or modify the stock wiring I used the right sockets and connectors to adapt to the stock wiring to do my mods so if there is a issue I can unplug the mod and return to stock without chopped wires... If you going to repair a stocking harness I highly suggest all wiring is soldered and shrink tubed... :soap: I'm done with my rant... Pet Peeve...:rolleyes:

This is one reason I will not modify the stock wiring if all possible. :rolleyes: There is a crap load of APPS mods for TQ Conv issues but the funny part is the trans and TQ Conv issues were never there for over 8-9 years now there present. Now people don't look for the reason why it fail or cauing problem they would rather hack up the wiring in a mod to attempt to fix something. Even my High mod doesn't cut or modify the stock wiring I used the right sockets and connectors to adapt to the stock wiring to do my mods so if there is a issue I can unplug the mod and return to stock without chopped wires... If you going to repair a stocking harness I highly suggest all wiring is soldered and shrink tubed... I'm done with my rant... Pet Peeve...:rolleyes:

:iagree::badidea:i cut my wires out of pure ignorance and will be worrying about them from now on. repairing something like that in a rest area on the interstate at night is not any fun. Just thought he might have a connection issue causing the problem. his problem sounded almost identical to mine. I hope to repair my wiring better in the near future. Had i found your website sooner no wires would have been cut. I learned more here to 30 days than i did anywhere in the previous 6 months. by the way, my mom and dad would have been proud of that lectrue:nono: you gave me.:lol:. i promise to never do it again.

This is one reason I will not modify the stock wiring if all possible. :rolleyes: There is a crap load of APPS mods for TQ Conv issues but the funny part is the trans and TQ Conv issues were never there for over 8-9 years now there present. Now people don't look for the reason why it fail or cauing problem they would rather hack up the wiring in a mod to attempt to fix something. Even my High mod doesn't cut or modify the stock wiring I used the right sockets and connectors to adapt to the stock wiring to do my mods so if there is a issue I can unplug the mod and return to stock without chopped wires... If you going to repair a stocking harness I highly suggest all wiring is soldered and shrink tubed... :soap: I'm done with my rant... Pet Peeve...:rolleyes:

AAAA-Men ..Michael ...Its unreal how many problems out there is a result to bad ot faulty wiring or grounds or terminal ends or..SOME ONE HACKING INTO THE ORGINAL HARNESS especially in a location sucsptiable to water & salt from road:smart: :thumbup2:Richie

The only thing I did to the wiring harness is put an APPS tap into it. I even pulled it apart and checked it to make sure I got a good connection. It is and I have left it alone. It worked for about 1 month and then the issue came back. (Jumping about 100 rpms when cruising down the road at 45. Annoying as he!!) This I don't think is related to my issue. Maybe it is... My CEL has never come on.

The only thing I did to the wiring harness is put an APPS tap into it. I even pulled it apart and checked it to make sure I got a good connection. It is and I have left it alone. It worked for about 1 month and then the issue came back. (Jumping about 100 rpms when cruising down the road at 45. Annoying as he!!) This I don't think is related to my issue. Maybe it is... My CEL has never come on.

Dunno - inititally you said RPM's stable at top of thread - here you say jumping 100rpms. Only reason I ask is I had same issue after injecto install (+100rpm jump) . APPS reset got rid of the issue immediately - and been around 2 weeks and not come back. Still monitoring.

Dunno - inititally you said RPM's stable at top of thread - here you say jumping 100rpms.

Only reason I ask is I had same issue after injecto install (+100rpm jump) . APPS reset got rid of the issue immediately - and been around 2 weeks and not come back. Still monitoring.

Different issue witht the RPMs jumping. The original problem is something that just started two weeks ago.

Just because the light is not on doesn't mean you don't have error codes... There is a lot of error codes that will not trip the light.

Good to know. I am going to take it to a shop with a better reader and see what they say.

Haven't taken it to the shop yet. But, the batteries decided to go blah on me Sunday morning. Thank God it happened in the driveway at home! Put in two new batteries, reset the apps, drove to the mountain and it drove like a new truck. No choking out or stuttering. Still jumping 100 rpms at 35 and 45 in OD and out of OD. Might be my torque convertor, I don't know. I'm just happy my truck wasn't acting like it has been the last couple of weeks.

Haven't taken it to the shop yet. But, the batteries decided to go blah on me Sunday morning. Thanks God it happened in the driveway at home! Put in two new batteries, reset the apps, drove to the mountain and it drove like a new truck. No choking out or stuttering. Still jumping 100 rpms at 35 and 45 in OD and out of OD. Might be my torque convertor, I don't know. I'm just happy my truck wasn't acting like it has been the last couple of weeks.

Cool. The 35MPH and 45MPh are the standard throttle/speed positions for lockup of the TC. eg with OD off - the TC lockup solenoid will activate around 35MPH. 45MPH for OD on. So sounds normal to me - can you describe more or take a video ?? Doesn't sound like a TC issue unless you feel it slipping under power ?? Do you have an upgraded VB ?? If you don't I'd highly recommend it as one of the best $100-$400 you'll spend. Makes the shifts firmer and smoother (more defined) :):thumbup2:

Cool.

The 35MPH and 45MPh are the standard throttle/speed positions for lockup of the TC.

eg with OD off - the TC lockup solenoid will activate around 35MPH. 45MPH for OD on.

So sounds normal to me - can you describe more or take a video ?? Doesn't sound like a TC issue unless you feel it slipping under power ??

Do you have an upgraded VB ?? If you don't I'd highly recommend it as one of the best $100-$400 you'll spend. Makes the shifts firmer and smoother (more defined) :):thumbup2:

Good to know it's normal, I always thought something was wrong.:hyper: Not slipping and haven't upgraded the valve body or TQ.

Unfortunately, after putting a whole bunch of stuff, see sig, on it I am going to have to sell it. My wife and I moved to the mountains and I am going to need a 4x4.

Thanks for the responses!

Sounds like the batteries were done...

Yes they were. It was the weirdest thing. The truck took an extra second to fire up on Wednesday. Drove it on Friday estarted up normal. Hopped in it on Sunday and would barely turn over. I've never had batteries just up and go that fast. Oh well, two new batteries and the truck is running awesome. Still going to get the codes read.