• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Easy way to set valves

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My first time setting valves on a 52 ford 1/2 ton truck--my ? is as I go thru this way?? as i watch # 6 to set #1--will the first valve that move's apply to all as the exhaust side?? before I mess things up--:cool:

Is this on a 52 as in not a cummins? In any case, this will work as long as you know the running mates. I am not quite sure what you mean. If you are going the normal rotation, then the exhaust will open first. For instance, on the cummins the firing order is 153624, so if you rotated the engine normal direction (clockwise from the front), until the exhaust valve opened on #1, then you would keep going slowly until the intake opened on #1, at which time the exhaust valve would be closing. The exhaust valve closes as the intake valve opens..this is called valve overlap. This is TDC exhaust/intake for #1, so it's running mate (#6) would be on compression/power, so the valves would be completely shut so you can adjust the intake and exhaust on #6. Once you are done, you would crank the engine over 120 degrees and since the next piston in the firing order is 5 (153624), the valves on 5 would be the next ones to open and overlap.. That should be 120 degrees from where you were just at when you set #6 by watching #1. So the valves on 5 will overlap and you stop during overlap and then you can do it's running mate #2, which is on TDC compression power, so you do both valves on #2. Then crank another 120* watching piston 3, when it is on overlap you can set 4. Then crank another 120 watching 6 so you can adjust 1. Then 120 watching 2 so you can adjust 5. Then 120 watching 4 so you can adjust 3.. If you meant can you adjust more than one pair of valves at a time, you can but I don't know which ones. There is a guide based on TDC #1 and #6 which is as follows: When piston #1 is on TDC valve overlap (intake is opening/exhaust is closing, you stop at that point), you can adjust the Exhaust valves on Pistons 2,4,6 and the Intake valves on 3,5,6. Then you rotate the engine 360 degrees which will put #6 on valve overlap. Then you can adjust the Exhaust valves on 1,3,5 and the Intake valves on 1,2,4. However, this method is for a cummins inline 6 and unless you are doing this on an inline 6 with the same firing order, then I don't think this is valid (I don't know what you are doing it on when you mention a 52 chevy). http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-12v-dodge-cummins/20-engine-valve-lash-adjustments

• 4 months later...

I remember when I was young working at a dealership. The mechanics would rotate and watch for two rockers next to each other that would be full down position. Then there would be tow next to each other that would be full up. I'd adjust mine the same way. These were 4 and 6 cylinder with solid lifters.

I remember when I was young working at a dealership. The mechanics would rotate and watch for two rockers next to each other that would be full down position. Then there would be tow next to each other that would be full up. I'd adjust mine the same way. These were 4 and 6 cylinder with solid lifters.

Yep, same principle. Cept you will never have them both full down unless there is something I don't know but usually the intake valve opens right before the exhaust valve closes, so they are both barely open.

Just saw the warning to remove the timing pin before rotating the engine to adjust the valves. Where is the timing pin?

Between the injection pump and the vacuum pump. Its kinda back in there and is a PITA to get to so I never use it.

Posted Image

Now that turns this from an easy to a PITA project. Never heard of having to remove that before. Necessary?

Not for setting the valves it isn't. Just watch valve #1 for valve overlap. As in, clockwise the exhaust valve will open then close but right before it opens, the intake valve will start to open. Right when the intake valve starts to move, stop.. Counterclockwise (alternator method) the intake valve will be closing and the exhaust valve would be the one to watch start to move. Since the valves on #1 are both actuating, that means you can't do that piston at all. So on this page http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-12v-dodge-cummins/20-engine-valve-lash-adjustments you would do the valves labeled step 2 (bottom of page). Then make a mark on the damper in relation to something like the speed sensor, it can be very crude...then rotate the engine 360* and do step 1. Just remember to shake the valve side to side or up and down to make sure its loose, if it is down then you know you did something wrong. You cannot adjust lash on valves that are actuating!