• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Another simple enhancement that don't cost a bunch of money is straight pipe the exhaust. Beware in some states it is illegal to be without a muffler. Now in some states a turbo is considered a muffling device. Some people think it just to loud. I will admit that without the muffler in place is it louder. I've been told that my truck can be heard up to a mile away. Now besides the noise and legal stuff. The bonus to straight piping the exhaust is that the engine can breathe easier. It will reduce the pyrometer temperature, increase horsepower and torque, and increase your fuel milage. Basically all you need to do is measure how long the full muffler assembly is and get a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and maybe a new set of clamps. Once you got the pipe have them expand the ends so they will fit over the existing pipe. So now when you do this you going to have to fight a little to get the old muffler and resonator off. I used a torch to heat the clamp spots up to get the muffler assemble off. Then slide in your new pipe and clamp it down. I've welded in some re-bar hanger to mount back in the rubber hanger on the frame to help hold the pipe up. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/muffler-delete/muffler-delete.htm

Yep, that's almost exactly what I did to my '99 when I had her. Only thing different that I did was to use some 3" into 3" exhaust couplers and use a few extra clamps. I cut out both the resonator and the muffler on the '99 and she was obnoxious loud. On a hunting trip to North Dakota I could hear my truck when my buddy was driving almost 2 miles away when he was on the throttle!!!! 8-) I do miss that truck and the sound, but I have to admit I do the quiet of my 04.5 with the MBRP muffler.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

M73M,I keep getting a problem loading page notice. I want to check out your link for the muffler bypass.To get it to be not so loud, should I keep the resonator or the muffler. Which one would be the better one to delete? Go with a glass pac instead maybe? Try to cover :moon Dave

• Owner

Hmm for page loading problems... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/muffler-delete/muffler-delete.htm try using IE browser on my site... As for loud it only loud when you got your foot on the carpet. As for keeping it quiet you could go with a glass pack which exact like the resinator but the stock rtesinator is 3" on one end and 4" on the other... :mad

I was wondering about the res inlet & outlet, 3 in, 4 out, cool. I was thinking of keeping the res but read on other sites that it's quite restrictive. True? So if I keep my foot out & off the carpet it won't be so loud if I want to try straight?Dave :thumbsup

• Owner

I was wondering about the res inlet & outlet, 3 in, 4 out, cool. I was thinking of keeping the res but read on other sites that it's quite restrictive. True? So if I keep my foot out & off the carpet it won't be so loud if I want to try straight? Dave :thumbsup

Restrictive??? LOL The stock resinator is nothing but a straight pipe thought a muffler can packed with fiberglass. The pipe inside the can has holes drilled in the face of the pipe. As for noise... Truely they are not to bad as long as you keep your foot out of the carpet. But sounds awesome in a tunnel or under a bridge at WOT... LOL

Another way is to use adapters or weld the end of a piece of 5 in pipe, it looks like a muffler. To make it a little quieter add a spot baffle 4 in from the inlet, the same diameter as the inlet. Two pipe diameters from that cut a rim baffle with the center the same dia as the pipe.A little more than a straight pipe, but for those that have muffler laws it looks right and with the 2 baffles it is a muffler.keydl

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here in Pennsylvania where I live they have begun checking for mufflers at State Inspection.They are now NOT considering the turbo as a muffling device and owners are being asked to have one in place.While many of the local kids here think its not fair and a pain in the tail they are not considering that it could be worse.They could stand by the Federal regs which state that if the truck was equipped with anti-pollution equipment(ie-resonator/catalytic converter) then it must be in place.So when my inspection mechanic gave me the heads up a year ago I just gave in and placed a muffler in my system and did not look back.They are also now cracking down on diesel pick-up owners who are stack equipped and not using heat shields.They are allowing a stack in a stack style as a heat shield instead of the gawdy nasty screens which are on class 8 rides.Also of note if you are stacked equipped here in PA you also need a muffler and they do not consider the square tube stack box as one..........Andy

• 2 weeks later...