• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HY35 to HX35 swap

Lost me again fella :) .......... its basically the same as what I just bought - but already clocked :)

Did you see my question above ? What do you mean regarding the elbow ? Aren't the elbows basically the same also between HY35 and H35 (and thats why they are interchangeable) ?? :shrug:

thx man

New turbo won't last long when he starts pulling hard not to mention high egts he is trying not to deal with by installing a h2o meth system already

How am I not dealing with them ??

HX should drop 100-200

Water Injection should drop another 100-200

Whats the alternative - buy a Super B (or bigger) for $1200 ??

How am I not dealing with them ?? HX should drop 100-200 Water Injection should drop another 100-200 Whats the alternative - buy a Super B (or bigger) for $1200 ??

He meant your trying to not see high egt's.. I think the HX will solve all your problems. With the way my truck is set up now, I hardly hit 1200, but it is just as fast (actually faster) as when I was blacking out interstates and hitting 1500, tuning is everything.

John..after lookin at Mopars thread, it looks like Its possiable you can swap you elbo from the HY35 to the HX35 {didn't no the HX had same bolt patteren}..but thats going to be spliting hairs i think IMHO.. I think that what you gain in exhaust wheel & housing size of the HX35 your giving most of it back by reusing the elbo from the HY35 IMHO

Richie

The elbow circumfrence on my HY is 9.25". Thats a diameter of 3". Whats yours ?

The elbow circumfrence on my HY is 9.25". Thats a diameter of 3". Whats yours ?
12cm=4.72in coupled to 4" SS Downpipe that came with the turbo and the V-clamp as a kit from ATS...also installed 4" SS Silverline exhaust same time..

Richie

--- Update to the previous post...

Lost me again fella :) .......... its basically the same as what I just bought - but already clocked :)Yeah..i must have posted it before i saw your thread where you had bought that one...just browsing around ebay and came across that one thought id pass it on to you..i mean Dmmm :stuned: 400.00+for a New Holset HX35W Turbo..wished i could have found something like this when i was looking for one...I mean i am almost tempted to call on it myself and i dont need one :lol:..kinD of curious if it really is new or REMAN....Dont see any reason though why the 1-you bought wont work...I had to "clock" my new one when i installed it...no worries:thumbup2:

Did you see my question above ? What do you mean regarding the elbow ? Aren't the elbows basically the same also between HY35 and H35 (and thats why they are interchangeable) ?? :shrug:

It has been my understanding that the HX35 came with the short stub flange with the groove around it that coupled straight to the downpipe and sealed w/V-clamp and the HY35 {which is what i Had} came with the Elbo that bolted to the Downpipe.....I was looking at doing the same thing as you..but there was nothing available out there either a good cheap core for me to have rebuilt or any that was rebuilt....either way when i crunched the numbers it made more sence for me to pay a few hundred more and get a new one with a 3yr. 150,000mile warranty extended to 5yr. 500,000mile warrnty...especially when you figured in the price of the downpipe..

after looking at my old one and the photos that Mopar posted I am pretty sure that they can be swapped out...

guess i am to blame for your confusion and for that i apologize..but i will try to clarify this so maybe the next guy wont have these same issues

How am I not dealing with them ?? ..Huh..

HX should drop 100-200 Yes i would think so...

Water Injection should drop another 100-200 cant help you there...

Whats the alternative - buy a Super B (or bigger) for $1200 ??

guess i am to blame for your confusion and for that i apologize..but i will try to clarify this so maybe the next guy wont have these same issues

No thats cool man - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I did research this before I bought - but obviously never having done it myself I still wasn't 100% sure. The one I bought was $350 remanufactured (cummins). So basically new.

That makes sense why your downpipe connection is bigger behind the exhaust flange flange with the bigger turbo - as anything above the hybrid does require a new downpipe or adapter.

I'll have to get some photo's and add to this writeup - so like you said - less confusion for others

:tease:

thx man

No thats cool man - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I did research this before I bought - but obviously never having done it myself I still wasn't 100% sure. The one I bought was $350 remanufactured (cummins). So basically new. That makes sense why your downpipe connection is bigger behind the exhaust flange flange with the bigger turbo - as anything above the hybrid does require a new downpipe or adapter. I'll have to get some photo's and add to this writeup - so like you said - less confusion for others :tease: thx man

John..i am curious to what is the circumfrence of the HX35 you just bought???? Richie

3" ...... same as the HX35

That and the 5 bolt flange is what makes them interchangeable I believe

Once you go HX40 or higher ..... you need a 4" downpipe/adapter

So your saying that the Elbo from your HY35 is the same size as the as the Exhaust stub flange on the New Reman HX35 you just bought?????

Richie

The V band connection from my HY is smaller than the 4" exhaust which exhaust pipe enlarges in the first inch or 2.. I always thought (perhaps erronously) that the HX's different coupling removed that bottleneck. So, if the HYs elbow fits & is reused, that neck down remains. Is it significant? Inquiring minds want to know?Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to putting on my new turbo. I want to get 1or2 runs up a long hill with my new CHIP - maybe arrive today - to determine EGT's before and after on cruis control. Trying to decide if to use the NEW one or the USED one which is in good condition. Anyway to help protect the EXHAUST part of the housing from the "heatrust" you see on exhuast components - just for aesthetic reasons ?? ..... or am I being :nadkick:

You might ask around engine shops/paint shops/etc. and see what they use, maybe even have them do it. Seems like something like that would be better off in the hands of a pro since any flaw would probably show up after some heat got to it.