Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heavyd1980

Odd Readings

Heavyd1980

Hey guys i have noticed this odd fluctation the last two days with my fuel pressure. What I am seeing is my pressure go from 16-18 psi then it usually starts to fall off when i am slowing down to stop, i will see anywhere from 2 to 5 to 7 to 10 psi with absoutely no engine indication that this is actually happening!!! (i think maybe false indication???) my fuel pressure has always been very steady until last night and today. :shrug::banghead:

dually

Is your tank 100% factory?Do you have a hellmenns sump?Doyou have a home made sump at the bottom of the tank? How many miles on the factory fuel sending unit?Does that happen when you fill the tank?

Heavyd1980

no i do not have a needle valve or snubber installed and the filters have about 4k on them. I have an airdog installed with the drawstraw but other than that the tank is stock and it was about 1/4 tank or so!!!

Mopar1973Man

no i do NOT have a needle valve or snubber installed and the filters have about 4k on them. I have an airdog installed with the drawstraw but other than that the tank is stock and it was about 1/4 tank or so!!!

I'm going to bet money your gauge (sender) is shot and been water hammered to death... Don't take much of that to kill a good gauge... :rolleyes:

Do you have access to a test gauge?

Yea... The next best option to test this out... :smart:

Heavyd1980

no i do not have a test gauge that might be kinda tough to route into the cab since this only happens while driving. what type of needle valve has anyone used??? to help with the water hammering where would i get a test gauge and a new sender for my edge??? :banghead:

Blueox01

no i do not have a test gauge that might be kinda tough to route into the cab since this only happens while driving. what type of needle valve has anyone used??? to help with the water hammering where would i get a test gauge and a new sender for my edge??? :banghead:

I would think you could sending unit at any parts store. take yours in to match up with something from any gauge mfg.(or look up edge's web site)

Mopar1973Man

Cheap $8 dollar needle valve from NAPA (WH6820)...

Posted Image

Then how to set the valve... With a digital gauge it going to be tough...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33ZCc8b-7Q

Heavyd1980

If you stop the pressure comes back up?

Sorry for the late response but yes it comes back up to normal once I come to a complete stop.

--- Update to the previous post...

Cheap $8 dollar needle valve from NAPA (WH6820)...

Posted Image

Then how to set the valve... With a digital gauge it going to be tough...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33ZCc8b-7Q

Mopar thats a sweet video thank you :thumb1: What size is the valve and will it work with my big line kit?

--- Update to the previous post...

who knows where i could get another fuel pressure sender?

Mopar1973Man

Sorry for the late response but yes it comes back up to normal once I come to a complete stop.

Mopar thats a sweet video thank you :thumb1: What size is the valve and will it work with my big line kit?

who knows where i could get another fuel pressure sender?

Ok...

Fitting got to Vulcan Performance to get the fitting you need for the big line kit.

As for the needle valve its a WH6820 from Napa for a whole $8 bucks.

As for the Sender you got to order it from Edge...

white01

Ok... Fitting got to Vulcan Performance to get the fitting you need for the big line kit. As for the needle valve its a WH6820 from Napa for a whole $8 bucks. As for the Sender you got to order it from Edge...

good to know info!!!

Heavyd1980

Ok...

Fitting got to Vulcan Performance to get the fitting you need for the big line kit.

As for the needle valve its a WH6820 from Napa for a whole $8 bucks.

As for the Sender you got to order it from Edge...

this fitting in red is that for the fuel sender?

Mopar1973Man

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2259[/ATTACH] http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Push-Lock-Fuel-Pressure-Tee-1-2-p/plt8.htm Ok cool thank, this is the one that I am running about 6 inches or so from the VP44. But since we are on the subject what is the size of that needle valve and how far from the sender should it be installed?

Mine is a 1/8" NPT need valve installed in that exact fitting above... But there is a problem electric sender don't work unless you give then a ground. That the problem I got currently with my exist low pressure switch that was I suggest the fitting above. Now since the Water Hammer source is at the VP44 it highly suggested to mount your fuel pressure gauge as far from the source of the water hammer. Less damage that way. But remember the fuel pressure sender must be after the filter... So if your like me you have a stock fuel filter housing that typically will have a air bubble on top which acts as a shock absorber so if you tap the line just after the filter housing it will aid in suspressing the water hammer effect.

Heavyd1980

so your needle valve is installed in this fitting??? and your fuel sender is back at the pump???

volkswagon

so your needle valve is installed in this fitting??? and your fuel sender is back at the pump???

Not sure if I follow what you're asking but you install the needle valve into the fitting and the sender onto the needle valve. Or run a grease gun hose from the needle valve and put your sender on the end of that to further dampen the water hammer.

Heavyd1980

wow ok i think i have this pictured in my head but just to clarify i would install the needle valve into the fitting and on the other side of the needle valve i would install my fuel sender??? if this is not correct does anyone have a pic of there setup???:shrug: