• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NOT!!!!:banghead: TM works by looking for wheel speed if it doesn't see any wheel speed the ecm will not let the vp44 fuel over a preset limit. Thus limiting boost thus limiting torque. Its not that complicated but it does apply to manuals just the same as it does autos. It is an engine ecm perameter and not a tranny pcm parameter, it is designed to save and prevent damage to the trannies and drivetrain. :smart:

Oops. Was always told manuals didnt have it. Only to save the autos.

• Owner

NOT!!!!:banghead: TM works by looking for wheel speed if it doesn't see any wheel speed the ecm will not let the vp44 fuel over a preset limit. Thus limiting boost thus limiting torque. Its not that complicated but it does apply to manuals just the same as it does autos. It is an engine ecm perameter and not a tranny pcm parameter, it is designed to save and prevent damage to the trannies and drivetrain. :smart:

Correct is applies to both automatics and manuals trannies...

so the 98.5-99s do or don't have TM?

Hmmm... I'm not sure but I'm going to assume it does...

I will say this, when I had the Smarty in mine for a little while, I set it do the TM was practically off.... Beastly is all I will say!!!!:drool::drool:

And to think the Smarty only lessens the effect of TM, it doesn't turn it off like the BD Rad box or the Blue Chip Redline box.

Oh yes. When I first got my smarty I played with it on 9 for a bit. After the tranny went. mainly from towing heavy, I started thinking about the reduced pedal travel in relation to the TV pressure, so I backed the smarty to like #3. Until the REVO software came out. Which I believe that software, negates the other programs as you can bascially make it do what you want. Unless the other programs have some features that arent adjustable through the REVO. :shrug: Anyhow, I turn up duration and timing and leave tm on 3. To me it has the best pedal feel. REminds me havent played with the tm since the new turbo and injectors, might hafta go play for a bit with the tm, just to see how much fun it is. :evilgrin:

• 2 weeks later...

And to think the Smarty only lessens the effect of TM, it doesn't turn it off like the BD Rad box or the Blue Chip Redline box.

Rad box will put a hurt on a tranny or finish off a weak one.A rad box finished killing my first gen suncoast tranny.It was not a full race tranny but a 20lb boosted launch didnt help:lmao2:

• 3 months later...

The way around what you are getting at and you are correct by the way on the lower pressures when the throttle isn't depressed as far with a smarty is to install a BD pressure lock. Some guys zip tie the tv linkage on the tranny back a bit "drag racers do this trick all the time" But they zip tie it back about all the way for max pressure a low rpm boosting for maximum internal tranny pressures.

Why is this limited to drag racers? I guess I don't quite understand how this stuff all works so I don't know why the common guy can't do it too and then you don't have to buy the BD pressure lock:shrug:

Because full line pressure shift will completely f a tranny up, unless it is fully built with billtet shafts and parts, and even then it will hurt them plenty.

are you gents saying that the 98.5-99 24valve doesn't have torque man? i think the only electrical plug on my manual trans is for the reverse lights. how would the ecm.pcm know what gear i am in? how would larger/smaller tires or different ring and pinion effect torque man?

This is correc, the 99 model(well somewhere i think 2000.5 and below, didn't have TM. The PCM knows your speed by the speed sensor in the rear axle of your truck, there is a VSS sensor in the transmission but AFAIC they were never used,

TM olny applies to auto. Your TM is your right foot and or a slipping clutch. :) That ix the one thing I dont like about the Smarty is that it shortens the overall pedal travel. Well electrically no physically. I have mine on 3 just because of the feel. I have good tranny just dont want to kill it from low line pressure/tv pressure. I was hoping the TV lever might have been keyed different because of no TM. Or actually they would have probably keyed the newer trucks with tm different. If they did at all. So it is something we are stuck with it seems. :duh:

TM was applied to the whole engine parameter, there is no difference between auto and Manual. Basicall if your engine is 215HP you do not have TM, the TM is what allowed doge to go from 215 and 420 to 235/450. The earlier truck also shift differently and have a different attitude towards driving when loaded. FOr example my truck tends to run right up to 2,200rpm and will stay there (or anywhere you plant the throttle) and keep accelerating until you get to the top gear. And it doesn't lock the torque converter either This truck will lock up only in 4th gear, or in 3rd if O/D is off. The best fix to a pre TM truck is a goosd shift kit, from DTT Goerend or Suncoast. By chanign your fluid pressure at idle and all through the bands you will give the tranny more line pressure to help keep those clutches sealed and that TC full. OPne of the major downfalls of the pre Tm trucks is that when accelerating with a stock auto you will watch the temps prise and rise usually to 180-200 depending, When towing the TC will never get filled enough to keep it cool even on lock up, the Lock up will draw more fluid away from the couplings and as such if you lay the pedal it will slip, even if it is by 100-200rpms or so like my truck did. Mainly my trucks issues were not exacerbated by the boost elbow or the smarty programmer i have. I installed the boost elbow fixed the OBD port and and now my truck feels stronger then ever, and when accelerating i can really feel the smarty, i can feel the boost level increased on the truck now with the boost elbow, andf the smarty will light the turbo up without issue even when towing 12,000lbs, hell i towed a heavy load yesterday almost 23,000gcw, and i must say that my truck now runs very well, i figure im dropping much more about 350hp to the rear wheels, say 250 maybe 500 or so who knows, never dyno'ed the truck but i know that it pulls like a mule.

.........Basicall if your engine is 215HP you do not have TM, the TM is what allowed doge to go from 215 and 420 to 235/450......

How are the tranny different? Pm TM to post TM? If it involves bringing the line pressure up quicker, how is this accomplished? My understanding is for now the, tranny's line pressure is controlled by the TV cable. Are the newer ones still this way? Also are the parts that do this, if its just linkage or springs, can those parts be used with a 235/450+ engines to help combat the increased torque, or actually the less TM when I have the smarty TM cranked up, or umm down? Whichever for less TM. lol I cant remember off hand but my TM is not turned way down with smarty, just a bit less than stock so I dont kill the tranny. I actually adjusted it to shift how I like it. Messing with TM did change my shift points.

How are the tranny different? Pm TM to post TM? If it involves bringing the line pressure up quicker, how is this accomplished? My understanding is for now the, tranny's line pressure is controlled by the TV cable. Are the newer ones still this way? Also are the parts that do this, if its just linkage or springs, can those parts be used with a 235/450+ engines to help combat the increased torque, or actually the less TM when I have the smarty TM cranked up, or umm down? Whichever for less TM. lol I cant remember off hand but my TM is not turned way down with smarty, just a bit less than stock so I dont kill the tranny. I actually adjusted it to shift how I like it. Messing with TM did change my shift points.

The transmissions line pressure is not wholly controlled by the TV cable, this is a gas solution because the gas engines get enough rpm out of the transmission to get the fluid pump to produce the pressure. This is why many dodge owners with gas engines change the TV cable lenght, because it changes when the transmission shifts, and as such controls the rpm of the engine and the trannys fluid pump. The main issue(IMO) is the springs used to control the line pressure in the valve bodies, these springs and balls produce sub par line pressures to prevent the clutches from slipping. If you increase your valve body line pressure going to all parts of the transmission then you can get more active friction and as such less slippage is induced. This is why the tC on the on the TM models do not lock as low as they do. My truck will have lock up anywhere above 33mph, if i put it in o/d off i can get lock up at 1,100rpms and then lay the throttle and watch it slip, but since installing the shift kit the trans will not slip anymore, instead it spools up quicker and will give you that feeling like it wants to rip the tires loose. On a friends 2001 4x4 auto his truck would not lock up in 3rd gear until almost 40mph, an by then the rpm's were almost 1,700. Now once he added injectors you could tell when TM went "off", because all the sudden the truck would have power, and on a stock auto his truck was fine until we loaded my smarty on it and turn TM down, then he would have lock up way lower around 1,300-1,400 and you would get trans slippage in O/D. The only internal difference is how the over dirve unit is lubricated and that was changed somewhere around 2000, but this was done due to poor lubrication of the overdrive planetary gear, in the end these features were only good to do just enough, because Chrysler redesigned the pump and the valve bodies, and input shaft to produce the 48re, This is because the next model cummins was indeed way to much for the 47re design.:smart:
  • Like 1