• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Really cold here in Arizona last night - single digits - truck started, let her warm up a few minutes, went on down the road and died - believe it might be gelled fuel and need guidance on best course of action. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

--- Update to the previous post...

Forgot to mention I had it towed home and is sitting in garage right now.

How cold is it there? straight #2 should be good to around 10-20*F Pull the fuel filter out and see if the fuel is gelled in the can. Then we can go from there. What is fuel pressure? Also check the codes using the key method starting with key off turn it on off on off on but not to start position after on the 3rd time look at the odometer window and write down the codes as they appera and let us know.

How cold is it there? straight #2 should be good to around 10-20*F Pull the fuel filter out and see if the fuel is gelled in the can. Then we can go from there. What is fuel pressure? Also check the codes using the key method starting with key off turn it on off on off on but not to start position after on the 3rd time look at the odometer window and write down the codes as they appera and let us know.

Temp was around 5-10 F last nite, will check codes and pull canister as you suggested, I have it sitting in garage now trying to get it heated up a bit. Thanks.

Temp was around 5-10 F last nite, will check codes and pull canister as you suggested, I have it sitting in garage now trying to get it heated up a bit. Thanks.

If your fuel is gelled get some Power Service 911 (RED Bottle) Pour some into filter canister,the rest in tank.

If its inside a garage already DO NOT PUT 911 IN THE FUEL TANK or anywhere else, set a heater under the tank to warm it up and go get a few gallons of #1 or winter fuel and mix it together. will be safer and better than 911. then let it run for a while to circulate the fuel and mix then hit the road.

• Like 1

If its inside a garage already DO NOT PUT 911 IN THE FUEL TANK or anywhere else, set a heater under the tank to warm it up and go get a few gallons of #1 or winter fuel and mix it together. will be safer and better than 911. then let it run for a while to circulate the fuel and mix then hit the road.

should have never put 911 in the fuel filter housing directly. thats like commiting fuel system suicide. :doh: If you haven't started it yet drain it back out and get some clean fuel inside the filter housing before you destroy your vp44.Then if you get it running top it off with a full tank of fuel and a quart of 2 stroke oil and hope for the best. 911 is for a dead horse emergency along the road not for 1 sitting inside a garage already:(:pray:

• Like 2

I think there is a misconception about kerosene. It is not as dry as sand. The machine shop I worked in used kerosene when machining things and it worked great. True it doesn't have the lube of regular #2, but it still has lube in it.

I have no idea how worthy 911 is. Regular power service anti gel is uh, an antigel..so what is 911? Only thing I can think of is it must be extreme and have extreme anti-lube properties.

According to this page, regular PS is crap, only improving HFRR a little. Which means the antigel PS must really suck, so now where does that put 911..

Even here on post #41, he says "I have seen a LS#2 mixed with ULS#1 and the HFRR result improved (on multiple tests)." Which is LS#2-Low Sulphur #2, and ULS#1-Ultra Low Sulphur #1 (kerosene).

Here it says in post #14 "Jet A is just kerosene and I get drums for free. Jet A has a HFRR wear scar of 670. ULSD untreated has a HFRR wear scar of 640." Further showing it isn't dry sand, it is just 30 points behind the regular #2.

I would use mixes of kerosene (#1 diesel) first.

You didn't catch me quick enough to keep from putting the 911 in the filter and tank. Do not have heater under the tank yet, need to get one. Have a new filter on it, bled the filter (barely dribbled out), but the transfer pump (mines on the block) sounds very weak, barely audible. hooked test gauge up to filter (clean side) and only getting 1 psi out of the transfer pump.

I'm now throwing any codes (yet).

I need to mention that I warmed the truck up this morning for around 10-15 minutes I hit the road, so I would think that I warmed it up enough to recirculate the fuel to heat it up.

Blueox, thats assuming he did have the stuff with "slickdiesel" I have not seen that newer stuff I still see the original 911 all over the place. Better to pour straight #1 in the fuel filter and a bit of 911 in the tank as a last resort. Not that hard to carry a bottle of #1 for the fuel filter. My point was he already had it home in his garage so he did not need the 911, he could have gone another route.

Blueox, thats assuming he did have the stuff with "slickdiesel" I have not seen that newer stuff I still see the original 911 all over the place. Better to pour straight #1 in the fuel filter and a bit of 911 in the tank as a last resort. Not that hard to carry a bottle of #1 for the fuel filter. My point was he already had it home in his garage so he did not need the 911, he could have gone another route.

Have not got truck started yet. PS 911 on bottle says to fill filter canister 1/2 911, 1/2 clean fuel. Been in garage for few hours now with heat on there. Last starter bump got me almost 12 psi, up from 1-2 earlier. Will drain filter in morning to get rid of PS911, and start priming with straight fuel. Can do nothing about the 911 in the tank already. Still not throwing any codes. Does it look like I'm heading in right direction? Should I be okay - I don't know answers, but doing best I can to save VP44. Do I need to crack injector lines to see if VP44 is sending fuel their way? Any other things haven't done yet I can try?

thanks.

I guess i was thinking that if he's in S.E. Arizona they probly don't have #1 diesel or a Winter Blend,the other nights weather was a fluke.