• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

that's in the plans - however i have not had any problems with stock pump - and don't believe the stocker is the problem - i just want to get it running today hopefully and still seeking advice - i just got up and after breakfast will definitely drain filter again and refill with diesel only - keep the ideas flowing for me if you can. thanks.

--- Update to the previous post...

Does anyone here who's been following this closely think that my VP is fried given what I've done - knowing that I haven't thrown any codes? Do I need to start examining the VP instead of what I'm doing? I just want to move forward even at cost of new VP if needed -

• Owner

Well the pump seem OK (marginal at best). If it was me... I would disconnect the fuel line at the tank and blow the enitre system out. Drain the filter housing... Then reprime the entire system and see if it starts. If the truck is in a semi-heated garage then it should be just a matter of re-priming the system....

I drained the filter again and reprimed/bled system via filter. My lift pump is putting out 16-17 psi when I bump starter to prime. Now my battery is draining so will have to recharge that, but still now start, and still no codes.

Never did say whether fuel was gelled or not.:shrug:

What is best way to check if VP44 is putting out pressure with truck not starting? Is this possible? Is it possible that the VP44 is damaged without throwing a code (i.e. The next most common MECHANICAL failure is that the rotor seizes in the distributor section of the pump. I should note here that all previous rotary style pumps have had this problem too, to varying degrees. The most common cause and most accepted reason for this failure on rotary pumps is lack of lubrication due to running out of fuel or the possible lower lubricity of the newer low sulphur fuels. http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/injectionpumpfailures.html

Is it possible that the fuel starvation from gelled fuel could have done the above quoted stuff from blue chip? Thanks for all the continued support and guidance. There's a reason why I go here now instead of the other forums for straight talk.

I would be surprized if cranking dry for a short period would cause damage as this happens all the time with diesels. I would crack one injector (1,2,3,4 while 5&6 are too awkward) at a time while cranking and check for fuel with a piece of cardboard or paper towel with rubber gloves(not thin latex ones) and glasses over the eyes. That 25,000 psi fuel cuts skin easily so be careful to keep away from spray. There are some mechanical failures in the VP44 that will not throw a code. You can attach a pressure guage at the VP44 fuel inlet to check low pressure fuel system. This is after the filter right at the VP44 inlet so a plugged filter will show. A guage with proper schraeder fitting is about $40 or less. If you just bump the starter quickly the LP pump will activate for a full 30 seconds for checking pressure even though engine does not start. You could disconnect the return flow at the rubber splice in the metal line and use a fuel line hose into a jar to check return flow. The banjo fitting at the exit of the VP44 has a ball and spring pressure regulator plus a fixed bleed hole. I am not sure of the expected flow while cranking since the VP44 is noted for very low flow at idle. I thought that 911 had some lubricity additive in it to counter the dryness according to the label? I would just add some outboard two stroke oil rather than drain tank. Once you prove that you have fuel going to injectors you know you should start as long as compression is good. Have you downloaded the FSM in the download section on this site so you can read the VP44 troubleshooting section?

I'm getting ready to bleed my injector lines 3,4,5 per FSM. Couple quick questions:1. The FSM says to loosen lines 3,4,5 - how much is considered loose enough - 2. once they're loose is when I crank starter 30 seconds at a time until starts and runs.Never done this before so bear with my questions - just want to do this correctly.I didn't mess around with the truck at all yesterday as had family visiting for New Years, but ready to get on it again today.

I'm getting ready to bleed my injector lines 3,4,5 per FSM. Couple quick questions: 1. The FSM says to loosen lines 3,4,5 - how much is considered loose enough - 2. once they're loose is when I crank starter 30 seconds at a time until starts and runs. Never done this before so bear with my questions - just want to do this correctly. I didn't mess around with the truck at all yesterday as had family visiting for New Years, but ready to get on it again today.