• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I tried to put the truck in 4WD Lo with transmission in neutral. i was able to get out of the snowpile no problem but, when I tried putting it back in 2HI with transmission in neutral I got a grinding noise. I paniced as the transmission wouldn't catch a gear.Finally it caught a gear but, when I read up on the owners manual it says truck needs to be rolling 2-3 mph to engage the 4wd, is that with transmission in gear or neutral coasting?I need to learn how to engage this thing properly.

I tried to put the truck in 4WD Lo with transmission in neutral. i was able to get out of the snowpile no problem but, when I tried putting it back in 2HI with transmission in neutral I got a grinding noise. I paniced as the transmission wouldn't catch a gear. Finally it caught a gear but, when I read up on the owners manual it says truck needs to be rolling 2-3 mph to engage the 4wd, is that with transmission in gear or neutral coasting? I need to learn how to engage this thing properly.

Most people seem to have to put the truck in neutral, turn the engine off, put it back into high range, then start it back up. I don't know why its like that but even my ford would do it with it in park :shrug:

• Owner

In my Mom's 96 Dodge you can engage 4WD LO with a firm pull on the stick. But getting back in 2WD or 4WD HI is a bit tricky and takes practice. I'll roll along and shift the trans to Neutral and then with a quick motion push the transfer case into 4WD HI or 2WD. You might still get a bit of clatter but not bad...

So, I should never pause is what you guys are saying? God I feel like a jack*ss! :doh:I'm gonna go the failproof way like ISX mentioned before, engage and disengage with transmission in park and engine off. That sounds like a much safer way.And just to think, all the hurt I caused her when I ground her gears... :cry:I hope she's okay...:pray:

I got out of work this morning only to find out that it had snowed a good 3-4". Upon driving on my way home I was on the highway and caught a wide turn on a steep hill, causing my rear wheels to slip. I had to turn my steer tires in the direction the rear end was moving to avoid collision.Lucky me! I was forced to engage the 4WD on the truck, as much as I didn't want to, I had to.To my surprise, I engaged it with the truck off, transmission in neutral, and was on my way.Thanks to all of the members on here, I remembered what each and every single one of you had said. Had it not been for everyone on here, I probably would have made a big mistake and would probably still be out there right now towing her home, as this site is my only source of information.As for my next question (bare with me please, I know I ask a ton of questions)... would it be bad to park the truck with the transfer case in either the 4WD LO or 4WD HI when not in use?

Won't hurt anything, You absolutely do not need to even slow down to pull it into 4 high as it is synchronized just like manual trannies. You created a road hazard if you pulled over and shut it down just to engage 4 hi. I just let off the throttle for a split second so the driveline isn't loaded and pull it in. You only need to go through the stop when going in and out of 4 lo.

I have run in 4wd for as long as a month straight couple thousand miles without taking it out of 4wd run down the interstate at 70-75 just the same as 2wd won't hurt a thing as long as its not on hard dry surfaces and the front and rear tires are the same size and inflation..

--- Update to the previous post...

Bear with my question as to why you would be using 4 lo in the first place?

Won't hurt anything, You absolutely do not need to even slow down to pull it into 4 high as it is synchronized just like manual trannies. You created a road hazard if you pulled over and shut it down just to engage 4 hi. I just let off the throttle for a split second so the driveline isn't loaded and pull it in. You only need to go through the stop when going in and out of 4 lo.

I have run in 4wd for as long as a month straight couple thousand miles without taking it out of 4wd run down the interstate at 70-75 just the same as 2wd won't hurt a thing as long as its not on hard dry surfaces and the front and rear tires are the same size and inflation..

--- Update to the previous post...

Bear with my question as to why you would be using 4 lo in the first place?

100% right. I put my ford in and out of 2-4hi at 60mph. 4 Lo is a different story.. Make sure you follow what he said about: just let off the throttle for a split second so the driveline isn't loaded and pull it in, you don't exactly want to have it floored when you pull it in :lol: