• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering column gauge mount?

I helped some yeah. A little more hit up top, for $330 bucks it's hard to beat for a mild upgrade.:thumb1: This is my thread about it: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/295356-generic-hx-35-40-hybrid-turbo-install.html

Damn Winslow that was a hella of a thread man! But there was some great info, pics, and vids. Thanks man.:thumb1:

That is pretty neat. I really like their 2 gauge pod. I might go something like that. Just got to figure out what else I want to monitor... Maybe a trans temp?:shrug: Wonder what else would be good to monitor....:shrug:http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/19982007-dodge-ram-gauge-windshield-above-mirror-mount-p-1359.html

• 3 weeks later...

:smart:Bullett83 that is probably the most awesome piece I have seen in all my years of diesel forum whoring. It makes more sense and is more convienient and out of the way than the pillar mounts. You should get together with some production outfits and get more rolling out you could do pretty dang good on that idea.:drool:

• Owner

:smart:Bullett83 that is probably the most awesome piece I have seen in all my years of diesel forum whoring. It makes more sense and is more convienient and out of the way than the pillar mounts. You should get together with some production outfits and get more rolling out you could do pretty dang good on that idea.:drool:

:iagree: Wild & Free is right... I would jump on one of those if I could buy one... :drool:

i think it would be pretty expensive to start making these. it's actually the factory dash bezel that i modified. that would be a pretty big mold. the materials weren't all that expensive to make this, it was just a lot of time to fiberglass and blend it to look nice. but thanks guys, this was the first thing i modified on my truck when i bought it. since then, i've made a new shifter and knob, and a version of a twin ram intake.

• Like 1

Sorry in advance for 100 questions. I see from your post, you used fiberglass... mat? cloth? putty? Did you use a form(s)? How are the guages held in? It doesn't appear to have access or at least not much access from the rear. I've had my dash bezel out recenly so I know that part pretty much snaps out with care.

i ordered a piece of plastic round stock and turned the pods out at work on the CNC lathe. then i used a product called Kitty Hair for stucture to hold them together and into the dash bezel. finished it off with some plastic epoxy repair. the gauges are simply hot glued into the pods, you are right about not much access from the rear. i used hot melt because if you want to get them out, you still can, hot glue isn't the strongest stuff out there.

i could certainly offer the pods, but i really am not sure if everbody could seriously cut them into their dash, (no offense). and be happy with the results. it takes patience. i grew up with wood working tools and such, and have watched a lot of vids on customizing things. (also helps to be a machinist) it is very easy to go in the completly wrong direction when you start into something like this. and i really mean no offense, it takes some guts to cut into something as important as your dash. i mean you look at it everday. i took the idea from a diesel mag i read, they cut a laptop into the dash of a chevy. the rest was imagination. and perhaps this is a discussion for another thread as well...i seem to stir the pot away from topic with my pics.

Hmmm. I was initially thinking to notch the rear of a guage pod to match the trim bezel... It's tough working without spare components to use as a form. My grandfather was a millwrite & a cabinette maker (his tools are still in the family), my father was an inventor with many patents... I'm constantly tinkering to create, customize or improve items. Unfortunately nothing to make me "rich". I was a partner & head mechanic in a boat marina (17 years) & later worked custom installing marine equipment & fleet, Police, Fire & EMS electronics. When one starts cutting holes in someone elses expensive toy, you'd better have thought of everything.I have some manual machine knowledge... I took it in school back in the dark ages. I own a unimat & a small South Bend lathe. Thinking... (and you though that smell was a tire burning)Russ