• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
Prowelder

Shifting in and out of 4wd speed?

carden joints are rebuildable, but not cheap, comparatively speaking. When they start to go bad, it sounds like angry sparrows under the truck, which then evolves into a notchy feeling in the driveline. Left alone, they will eventually bind to a point where it'll stop turning, thus blowing apart. I, too, have seen them rip a tcase apart once it locked up.I've rebuilt them in my old rock-crawlers, but it's a beotch.. you'll have to be creative, if you have standard run-of-the-mill tool selection.

i've torn apart my fair share of drivelines but i cant say i have ever seen one of these lock up but i have felt the very pronounced vibration that comes from a bad one.

i've seen more carnage from rock crawling then anything. lots of broken axles, twisted drivelines, even a spider gear poking through the rear end housing of a toyota!!!:banghead::lmao:

I shot spider gears completely through the rear cover. Looked like it was shot with a 50mm roundI'll try to find where i stored the pictures.

i engage my into 4hi at 5 to 10 mph...4lo...in neutral..foot on brake then into 4lo...the put it in drive...and in the none snow season..once a month for 1 mile i engage the 4hi and drive to keep stuff lubed.:smart:

Well as an update while driving back into town for my afternoon class, I tried kicking it into 4wd at 45-55 mph and it did fine. I kicked it in and out about 2 or 3 times in different places and it worked great!! Much nicer knowing that I can do with without any strange noises or anything!!:hyper::thumb1:And white, I do the same thing, every once and while I'll kick it into 4 hi and 4 lo just to keep everything working well. Sometimes I'll just kick it into 4 lo pulling into the yard just to do it. Plus it makes backing a trailer a lot easier!!:lmao:

I had a samurai rock crawler, back in the day. chevette diesel swap with 5speed. Samurai tcase, 4.16:1 4LO, 5.88 diffs, locked on 32 x 10.50s. 2nd gear, 4LO, I could get out, walk beside it, and still read the warning label on the tires.. LOL4LO-1st gear, it's dang-near idle up a redwood tree..