• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which batteries??

Okay guys my next purchase are going to be batteries.... Exciting I know but they are getting weak enough that if I don't have the truck plugged in, the grids pull them down too much and the starter won't spin fast enough to start the truck... Had this happen to me the other day which sucked b/c the folks and I were going to go into town to shop/eat. My question is, what do you guys recommend for batteries? I've had decent luck with Die Hards but I'm not 100% sold on them in my '75 Chevy. I'm thinking about Autozone Duralast Gold top b/c they are well priced and easy to get. Plus they've got a good warranty and I've had great luck with them in my '71 VW and one of the Cummins's batteries is one and is 4.5 yrs old. But also kicking around Interstate, Harvest King (Atwoods), and any other place. What do you guys think?:shrug:I've also thought about Optimas but they are so expensive and I've been told they aren't as good as they used to be b/c the plant moved or something.... was told that by the owner of Barry's Diesel Service in Winfield... He seems like a good guy, but never really dealt with him other than when I've bought some silicone heater hose and a piece of 4" exhaust pipe... I do know they are just down right expensive and I'm a poor, almost jobless, college student...:smart::smart::lmao::duh:Thanks,Winslow

I just priced out batteries yesterday and the guy told me that these trucks take a group 27 I believe but he said guys are putting in group 31's. They're an inch longer and take a little bending of the hold down or something like that. They are 1010 cca versus 750 for the group 27's. I'd gladly do some modifying to get the higher amps. Besides they were about $10 a piece cheaper:thumb1: Just my :2cents: on the matter.

i got the wallyworld batteries. what is it, EVERSTART MAXX. i don't know what group it is, but is 1000ca each. only $75 a piece. walmarts are everywhere and it was ~$20 cheaper than all the part stores i found. even some of the new walmart don't have tire and lube, but still have an automotive section with batteries :2cents:

If you buy on-line from Advance Auto Parts, as you are going through the check-out it will ask you for any discount codes you want to apply. I found by using the code "Visa" I got a $50 discount on an Airtex fuel pump. I used the code for some brake rotors too - they were like $170 each so I bought one at a time and saved $50 on each one.This was done before Christmas so I don't know if the discount code is still active, but it might be worth a try.Good Luck,Joe in St Louis

• Like 2

i have been running red top optimas since i got the truck ...only problem i had was poor connection from useing the stock terminal ends .....optima batteries have different sized posts ..so if you do go with optimas you will also need diffrent terminal ends ...i chose to go with the gold tsunami type that all the little import rice burner big bass cars the real young kids seem to like ....who knew these kids actually did a few smart things for their vehicles....the terminal ends are gold plated ...=less corrosion ..also the ends have multiple small connection areas for auxillary things ....cbs stereo amps...emergency warning or other auxillary lighting ....you are correct the optimas are expensive but they are sold at autozone and any autozone that carries them can replace them ....3 years no questions asked

Hi Winslow.I run twin blue top optimas to start the Cummins. 1 each in 2 race cars and 1 for the winch in the trailer. The thing I really like about the optimas is there is no leaking Acid and they provide good power. Just my 2 bobs worth.

Hi Winslow. I run twin blue top optimas to start the Cummins. 1 each in 2 race cars and 1 for the winch in the trailer. The thing I really like about the optimas is there is no leaking Acid and they provide good power. Just my 2 bobs worth.

That's a good point, they don't leak. But man they are sooo expensive at almost twice the price of anything else!!:cry: