• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

More 2 cycle oil stories

I've been adding 2 cycle oil to my VP-44 and my wife's 12V since 2001, 8 years now. Pulled the injectors once and they looked exactly as expected. No evil 2 cycle "gum" buildup.Now to the interesting part: I bought another used 3500 2001 with 117,000 miles. Shortly there afterwards, I started getting low power periods and P1693 (?), the code for "internal timing error". I didn't have the time or money to replace the VP at that time. So I experimented with heavy dosing of 2 cycle oil in the fuel. <100:1 mix ratio. I was able to drive the truck several more months before replacing the VP.My son didnt believe me about 2 cycle oil, his VP died at about 150,000 miles. Same code. He decided to try the heavy dosing of 2 cycle oil, and he was able to drive the truck for a month. But if he forgot to add the 100:1 2 cycle oil back wouold come the P1693 code. I had the same experience if I forgot to heavy dose.Is the heavy dosing a "fix"? Answer: no, the damage is already done, but the extra high dose of lubrication got the timing ring to move again.Suppositionally, I suggest that increasing the lurication quality of diesel fuel will prolong the life of the injection pump and injectors, since both are mechanical and I have not see a mechanical device that didnt benefit from improved lubrication.

I'm glad you found your way over here Texas Diesel!!!! Welcome aboard!!!! Seems you've got more experience than Mike and I on the 2 stroke oil thing. Hope you don't mind if we pick your brain a bit and try to learn some more!!! :smart Cheers!! :thumbsup

• Owner

I've been adding 2 cycle oil to my VP-44 and my wife's 12V since 2001, 8 years now. Pulled the injectors once and they looked exactly as expected. No evil 2 cycle "gum" buildup. Now to the interesting part: I bought another used 3500 2001 with 117,000 miles. Shortly there afterwards, I started getting low power periods and P1693 (?), the code for "internal timing error". I didn't have the time or money to replace the VP at that time. So I experimented with heavy dosing of 2 cycle oil in the fuel. <100:1 mix ratio. I was able to drive the truck several more months before replacing the VP. My son didnt believe me about 2 cycle oil, his VP died at about 150,000 miles. Same code. He decided to try the heavy dosing of 2 cycle oil, and he was able to drive the truck for a month. But if he forgot to add the 100:1 2 cycle oil back wouold come the P1693 code. I had the same experience if I forgot to heavy dose. Is the heavy dosing a "fix"? Answer: no, the damage is already done, but the extra high dose of lubrication got the timing ring to move again. Suppositionally, I suggest that increasing the lurication quality of diesel fuel will prolong the life of the injection pump and injectors, since both are mechanical and I have not see a mechanical device that didnt benefit from improved lubrication.

Actually let me help you with the error code... The error code is a companion code. Its normally always there with another code. So basically when the P1693 pops up it means you got to dig deeper and find the other code... You might have to get a hold of a code scanner and try again... Here is my write up for error codes... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/obd2-error-codes.htm

I'm sure others will respond with thoughts on the codes... but I think 100:1 is what most of us run. Russ

Actually most of the 2nd Gen crowd is at 128:1 ratio... The 3rd Gen Crowd is at 200:1 ratio... At least my little crowd... LOL

I'm glad you found your way over here Texas Diesel!!!! Welcome aboard!!!! Seems you've got more experience than Mike and I on the 2 stroke oil thing. Hope you don't mind if we pick your brain a bit and try to learn some more!!! :smart Cheers!! :thumbsup

Yea... I would love to pick your brain for all the great tidbit and get all that I can from you... :thumbsup Come on TexasDiesel spill the bean I want the dirt (or the oil of it!) LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the 2 cycle oil in the diesel will effect an emissions test? Where I live they require an emissions test, so I was wondering if I might could use the oil and still pass the et or maybe even stop using it a week or two before getting the test.Also I am noticing that most automobile gas stations are selling the ULSD fuel. It may be somewhere in this forum, but what is this doing to my 2001 Dodge Cummins motor? Can/should I add the oil to this type fuel without issue?

• Owner

Does anyone know how the 2 cycle oil in the diesel will effect an emissions test? Where I live they require an emissions test, so I was wondering if I might could use the oil and still pass the et or maybe even stop using it a week or two before getting the test. Also I am noticing that most automobile gas stations are selling the ULSD fuel. It may be somewhere in this forum, but what is this doing to my 2001 Dodge Cummins motor? Can/should I add the oil to this type fuel without issue?

Here is a long thread on it... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=220

You guys need to make a youtube movie of the before and after running of it with and without the 2 stroke.. Having a 12V i don't notice much noise diff but I have heard a lot about "you can hear the 2 stroke hit the VP!" and stuff.. I am very curious about that.. Every 24V always sounds awful to me. I was idling close to one, one day and i thought my truck was running out of oil! Nope, 24v is just that clanky LOL I have heard some that sound better though, I was wondering if that was the 2 stroke adders.. :confused:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

wait a minute

what does your air dog's filter look if your running 2 cycle through it?

no "oil gunk on injectors"? better gas mileage and quieter?

is this magic in a bottle.

i would like any to comment on injector gunk.

Here is my stock fuel filter after 15K miles... (Before the AirDog)

Posted Image

Nope... The injectors are not gunked up... Been running 4 years now...

My last trip to Stanley, ID I netted 25.2 MPG!!!

It not magic but it does help keeping the fuel system lubed up...

i was fillin up and the guy next to me ask whats up.(about the 2cycle)we shot the sh**, and he looks over at me and says:"well i guess you could get water to burn with enough fuel".then he walked off, believing 100% i was an idiot.but i just thought to myself, he must not of heard about water/meth.lol

• 3 weeks later...