• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I Need The Community's Help

DieselD24

I have to turn in a compare/contrast essay for English class. I decided to do my topic on Similarities and differences of the Diesel and Gasoline engines. This is what I have come up with so far SIMILARATIES-Both are DI engines-Both use the 4 stroke cycle principle-Both fuels hold lubricating properties to prevent internal parts wear DIFFERENCE-Ignition-Compression-Emissions-Refining process of fuel These are just points and need to write out my supporting sentences. I feel like I am leaving a few things out that I havent thought of yet. Can anyone give me more ideas?

Energy Content DifferencesMPG DifferencesFuel cold weather differencesEngine block differences (diesel is heavier/stronger)Engine RPM Differences (Gasser revs a lot higher)Both have similar cooling systemsBoth have similar lubrication systemsBoth can use the same trans (if power is the same, V10/Cummins used NV4500HD)Both have similar electrical systems (cept for addition of grid heater)Both rely on compression to be efficientHmmmmm

• Owner

I have to turn in a compare/contrast essay for English class. I decided to do my topic on Similarities and differences of the Diesel and Gasoline engines. This is what I have come up with so far

SIMILARATIES

-Both are DI engines (Becareful here Diesel is is direct injected in the cylinder and gas is injected in the manifold.)

-Both use the 4 stroke cycle principle

-Both fuels hold lubricating properties to prevent internal parts wear

DIFFERENCE

-Ignition

-Compression

-Emissions

-Refining process of fuel

These are just points and need to write out my supporting sentences. I feel like I am leaving a few things out that I havent thought of yet.

Can anyone give me more ideas?

Let me think some more...

Energy Content Differences MPG Differences Fuel cold weather differences Engine block differences (diesel is heavier/stronger) Engine RPM Differences (Gasser revs a lot higher) Both have similar cooling systems Both have similar lubrication systems Both can use the same trans (if power is the same, V10/Cummins used NV4500HD) Both have similar electrical systems (cept for addition of grid heater) Both rely on compression to be efficient Hmmmmm

Thanks ISX, those were good points.

Diesel is nearly twice as efficient as a gas engine. It burns I higher BTU content fuel than a gas engine and typically runs about double the compression ratio in many cases. http://www.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question399.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine Some diesels although not many modern consumer use or light duty are 2 stroke diesels. For instance some the now discontinued Detroit diesel or the Waukeshau diesels (kind of an odd duck) Hopefully this will give you some food for thought. :smart:

Just thought of another big thing that you can stem off of. Gassers hardly ever come with an engine oil cooler OEM. I think anyways, don't mess with them too much. But you could explain why it is that they don't have them and why diesels have them.

• 2 weeks later...