• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Bag Light on after Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Install

Hey guys, anyone have their Air Bag Light illuminate after R/R Steering Column? I've had it out twice making finer adjustments on the Rock Solid Ram Steering Column Fix (awesome upgrade by the way, totally improves steering response) and after the second time my Air Bag Light stays on. 1. Have I damaged a wire and if so which one?2. Have I damaged the clock spring? If so, how do you diagnose this? I look forward to your responses, and thank you Michael for running such an awesome site. P.S. This is on a 2002 and prior to the install no dash lights and no DTCs.

Had the same issue on my 06 when I did steering mods/adjustments. Mine was the clock spring. If you let the steering wheel freely turn too much in one direction or the other the clock spring will tear. As far as I can remember its a thin film type ribbon inside a plastic casing. On mine I think I took the airbag out from the steering wheel and it was behind that, not sure on a 2002 . Sorry but I don't remember exactly, its been a while. Just remember to diconnect the batteries and let it sit for 10-15 min to discharge any power at the airbag before you start messing around there. Hopefully someone can chime in for the 02, but I'm guessing the clock spring. Should be an easy fix. Good luck.

Hey guys, anyone have their Air Bag Light illuminate after R/R Steering Column? I've had it out twice making finer adjustments on the Rock Solid Ram Steering Column Fix (awesome upgrade by the way, totally improves steering response) and after the second time my Air Bag Light stays on.

1. Have I damaged a wire and if so which one?

2. Have I damaged the clock spring? If so, how do you diagnose this?

I look forward to your responses, and thank you Michael for running such an awesome site.

P.S. This is on a 2002 and prior to the install no dash lights and no DTCs.

Um, he has done the fix and just needs to get the air bag light to go off.

Thanks for all of the feedback. After some diagnosis, I have narrowed it down to the clock spring. Excellent points about the steering wheel movement during R&R. I isolated it with static rope so that it didn't rotate while it was off the truck. However, my truck is equipped with an aftermarket anti-theft system and all of the wires behind the dash are a CF! So, during removal, I cut two wires in order to remove the column thinking I would just re-connect them during re-installation. And what did I do, cut the Clock Spring wires going to the yellow connection for Air Bags!! What a born loser!! Anyway, if you plug in a DRBIII the info you will get is... "Driver Squib circuit open" a.k.a. Clock Spring. I'm heading to the "yard" this weekend to find a replacement, otherwise NAPA stocks them. Thanks again.

Mine was well over $100 in the Dakota when I snapped it..... :cry:

my wife has an 06 Dakota, hope its not next. checked oriellys,advance, and auto zone. could not get napa to come up. oriellys $41.99 and auto zone $52.99. alittle more than i remembered though.