• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6.7 What gauges to buy?

scubieman

Guys, I was just wondering what gauges you recommend for the truck. Fuel pressure and tranny temp are the only two I see worth spending money on. But my heaviest load maybe 10,000 pounds. Plus I have a idiot light if I get to hot. Worth the 50 dollar gauge?

• 1 month later...

i would be more concerned with trans temp(for auto trans), an exhaust temp gauge, and a rail pressure gauge (fuel pressure is irreverent on a CR, its more about rail pressure)If you need a 4th gauge then i would say boost or back pressure gauge depending on if you like to see what your motor is running.

now that is a good one. I think its between 15-25,000psi, i would ask AH64ID, he has a sweet setup. your rail pressure will fluctuate, if your rail pressure drops below a certain psi typically you will have performance issues but will only notice it when towing heavy.I like the Danin gauges shame you can't really find them anymore though.

Bummer, Because I know Moper 1973(forgot his name) was trying to push getting a gauge next to fuel filter for the PSI there. Really I should have two fuel gauges , one to test if fuel filter is good and second to see if rail pressure is up to par.

on the 6.7's i can see that, but from my understanding a fuel pressure gauge for the low side is not as necessary as a rail gauge, because the rail pressure is a refection on the fuel psi from the lift pump.then again having not really touched CR's i can only say that fron what i read good fuel filtration is a must on these trucks.

• Staff

Here is what I would monitor in order on a 6.7 (are you doing deletes?)TransEGTBoostFuel PsiRail PsiRail psi is really not that big of a deal unless your adding a lot of power, or a rail pressure box. The trans idiot light is more of a "buy a new trans" light. Fuel psi tells you the status of your LP and filters, but a lack of pressure really won't kill a CP3 like a VP44. I run EGT, Boost, Fuel, Oil, Drive Pressure, and on my SGII I watch IAT's, Coolant Temp, Load, and Rail Pressure.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing this from the dead. Where did you get your gauges and how much(If you dont mind) The reason I am asking is because the mini maxx has about 20 or 40 digital guages you can choose from. I want a programmer more for MPG then anything. I already unplugged my EGR which threw a code but my fuel mileage has gone from 11.5 mostly heavy horrible city to about 15-16. So for sure worth the unplug. The tranny is my number one worry. The EGT I dont think I will have a problem since I wont be towing much weight(like 8000 at most) and anything real heavy will be short distance.

• 3 months later...

Once again back from the dead. Like Lazarus. Tranny temp, Pyro, (you will be amazed at the temps) and boost. I screwed up and got fuel pressure because I didn't know with a CR engine it wasn't important. I guess I just bought too many lift pumps for my old truck.

• Staff

Fuel pressure is important, but not as important as rail pressure, on any CR engine rail pressure is as important as fuel pressure is on any vp truck. especially if your modified.

Yes and no. If your not meeting demand pressure for the most part you will get a code. Sometimes that doesn't happen when heavily modified, but under 500ish rwhp and stock RP there really isn't a need for one. Yes it's nice to have, but not crucial like VP LP pressure.

Yes and no. If your not meeting demand pressure for the most part you will get a code. Sometimes that doesn't happen when heavily modified, but under 500ish rwhp and stock RP there really isn't a need for one. Yes it's nice to have, but not crucial like VP LP pressure.

hmm, i was under the impression that the fuel systems die like they do on the 2nd gens. stories of draining the fuel rails on lightly modified trucks and such.

• 1 year later...