• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To Many Miles to party?

I was considering changing my setup for more performance. Fuel Pump, performance computer etc. My question is, with 90K on the ODO, is this an unwise path? I was basically considering Moparmans setup as I have the same truck, but I am (slightly) concerned on modding the almost 100K motor. Thoughts?

Dont worry go for it these eng. can take it. The only thing you have got to do is get a #1 Fuel Pressure Gauge you got to keep 10 lbs to vp44 at all times #2 Pyro Temp Gauge #3 Trans Gauge if auto.And have fun enjoy your truck. There are trucks out there with 300k with all kinds of mods.I dont have much on my truck it is a work truck but I enjoy what I have. I put it this way I can pull 30k and never lug down on any hills I didnt say mountains but anyway you got the idea. B)

• Owner

I was considering changing my setup for more performance. Fuel Pump, performance computer etc. My question is, with 90K on the ODO, is this an unwise path? I was basically considering Moparmans setup as I have the same truck, but I am (slightly) concerned on modding the almost 100K motor. Thoughts?

Oh My... Your engine isn't broke in till 250K miles... These engine are good for 1,000,000 (1 Million miles). I got a buddy on the site here (Taz) that has over 600K miles now and the pump turned up on his 1992 Dodge Cummins 12V. I've also got a 3,200 RPM Governor spring sitting on my desk ready to install... But as for following my path your very safe in power. It when you start really getting into power is when problems occur. But I would upgrade you fuel system before you even think of power upgrades...

Yeah, I second what moparman said.. I have 300k and it shows no signs of stopping. There is one thing I notice that does seem to be hurting me though. Starting the truck and not driving it very far. The constant little drives that are not at operating temp add up and wears stuff out. I always drove a lot until I went to college, then the tiny little jaunts started showing, lots of smoke during/after startup which it had never done before, couple other things. So as long as you drive it long enough to put 10 minutes of driving time AFTER it warms up on it, every time you drive it, it should still be just like factory at 500k miles. Kinda impossible to do unless you have a car there as your grocery getter, but you get the idea of what a diesel is supposed to be used for.. I been contemplating using my brothers harley now thats its warm out, rather than continue to wear out whats left of the compression on my truck..

• Owner

Kinda impossible to do unless you have a car there as your grocery getter, but you get the idea of what a diesel is supposed to be used for..

LOL It's only 80-100 round trip to go grocery shopping... Its my daily running around locally that is killing me... I'm used to firing up and driving at least 100 miles daily. Now my truck might do 2-5 miles daily... So I make time to run it out and down the canyon good and hard to heat it up good. Like tomorrow I got to run to Council, ID and drop off some stuff... So there is about 104 miles round trip... As for the short trip that is considered under the guidelines of serve service on the maintenance. Basically when you don't get the engine up to temp completely the oil doesn't cook off the moisture and other things in the oils and lubricants... Since I built the high idle switches I tend to use it to warm up the engine more than driving the extra miles. But in ther same sense the MPG are lower from this... Can't win for losing... :confused:

I wish I had 80-100 miles to shop! I love cruising the highway. One of these days, I will stick enough block heaters in it to keep it 190f all the time :D And one of these days my ford might be worth driving LOL

Sometimes I only do short trips. What would be severe duty change interval. I'm doing about every 5,000 right now.250,000 mile break in, that's awesome! So with 175,000 on the clock I've got a keeper! That's what i thought anyhow! :thumbsup You just reinforced my mojo. >:) Time to invest is some Cummins apperal to show my pride!~Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I always figured that a cold start was at least 100 miles worth of wear - even if it is just 30 feet into the garage, a hot restart is probably worth 20 miles on the cam. That is why people buy prelubers.keydl

• Owner

I always figured that a cold start was at least 100 miles worth of wear - even if it is just 30 feet into the garage, a hot restart is probably worth 20 miles on the cam. That is why people buy prelubers. keydl

There was a crazy of that back when I first started with the Cummins Crowd. But then it seen to just fade away... :confused: You rarely here of pre-luber now...

Also, in a marine application, the 12 valves are rated at 330 HP? How do they do that?

There is one BIG reason that they can get so much power out of a marine engine. An ENDLESS supply of cool water. The manifolds are water cooled, the turbo is no doubt, water cooled, the oil is probably ran through an oil to water cooler also. So the only thing getting hot is basically the piston.. Now 330HP looks pretty darn conservative with all the cooling dont it?. The intake air is probably also ran through an air to water cooler LOL There isn't a doubt in my mind that the EGT for one of those being stock at 330HP would not ever get over 1000F. You could also run the lake water through a filter and shoot it in for water injection.. The possibilities are endless with marine engines, vehicles dont have an endless supply of cool water and that is why we are constantly buying bigger turbos and doing anything and everything to get the EGT's down.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='

But as for following my path your very safe in power. It when you start really getting into power is when problems occur. But I would upgrade you fuel system before you even think of power upgrades...[/quote']

I am putting on a bully Dog torque dog on My 01 with out any fuel upgrades. On the top noch it gives 65 extra HP. Is this enough to need to upgrade my fuel system. What do you recommend for fuel system upgrades?