• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Removing the silencer ring and saw this

So i thought i'd go out and remove the silencer ring today for kicks (not a big difference in whistle IMO ) and this is what my turbo looks like. Is the oil residue normal,and if you look close it looks as if the impeller or whatever you call it, rubs the housing, but I can spin it and it doesn't scrape at all even though it awefully clean where it spins. I pull in and out with no movement that I can tell and maybe a hint of up and down movement. On a last note, sorry to beat this boost elbow to death but the picture with the elbow and the hose coming off it, is that where I install the new one? Here's the turbo pics post-10164-13869817738_thumb.jpg Which of the three here is the one to get, or in the end are they all going to be just as good? http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bd-diesel/performance-elbow.htm http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/edge/boost-elbow.htm http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/adjustable-turbocharger-boost-elbow-fitting-cummins-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb4512df4QQitemZ200593714676QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

post-10164-138698177387_thumb.jpg

post-10164-138698177392_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like physical damage or wear but what are you running for an air filter? That is classic K&N filter junk. or any other oiled filter that has been over oiled and deprived of proper servicing. Clean it out good and let us know what you are using for an intake system. Boost elbows are all pretty much the same thing, pick the cheapest and go with it.

• Owner

Stock air box is junk too... Over time the plastic will deform and the seal around the filter will be lost and the dust will leak thruogh. You can grease the seal to death to keep dirt out or just switch to the BHAF and be done. But oil resdue and dirt is a bad sign on the compressor side of the turbo. :duh: (Bad oil seal - Remember oil pressure is always higher than boost pressure so oil will always enter) http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/turbo/turbo.htm

Being it is on the air filter intake side of the wheel you generally would not see the oil leak "If it had one" right there as it would be pulled into the aftercooler and engine. Like you said the stock air box has to go. Since there is no damage to the fins just clean it up good and put a different filter like a cold air intake or BHAF and be done with the problem.

• Owner

Being it is on the air filter intake side of the wheel you generally would not see the oil leak "If it had one" right there as it would be pulled into the aftercooler and engine. Like you said the stock air box has to go. Since there is no damage to the fins just clean it up good and put a different filter like a cold air intake or BHAF and be done with the problem.

But make sure to pull the intercooler and clean it out as well as all the piping to the manifold... Because if oil residue is at the turbo you going to most likely have it in the intercooler and piping too...

Are you the original owner of this truck or is it possible a previous owner ran an oiled filter? I bought my truck new... used a K&N for a short while... saw no gains & after I learned of the oiled filter possible issues (and held it to a light, yanked it in favor of an OEM filter. My intake tube is clean fortunately. Anyrate, you know what you have to do to clean it up.