• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

California - SMOG

Curious as I don't fully understand vehcile licencing here in US and we are about to move to CA. Also been reading http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536 Truck is registered in MO (where we bought it) and we extended the licence this year which expires in DEC. Now we are moving to CA for 6-9 months. So a couple of questions 1) Do I need to bother with anything now as truck is licenced till DEC in MO. 2) If I stayed in CA beyond DEC - can I just renew my plates as MO plates. 3) Can I get fined for having a truck that smokes ??? Can it be worse than a fine or does that only happen at inspection time ?? I did read this here http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm "Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California? If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered." -- but didn't make a lot of sense thx guys :)

"Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California? If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

sounds like the answer right there. you're a MO resident. It's registered to you in MO. If you move to CA, the federal emissions on it are just fine. It's when you're buying something in CA that CA emissions matter. That said, have fun with the emissions tests.

Will you be a CA resident or MO resident?

Dunno Thats the confusing bit - we don't really reside anywhere - we live in RV and we move around wtih work. Usually 6-9 months. As far as I am concerned - MO is our home base. Family/house etc. But as I have had these plates for 2 years ...... I *think* to renew them I would normally need a safety inspection in MO come 2012. So since I am in CA then :shrug:

i have been traveling for work for the past 30 years(the past 13 in an RV) and always had my vehicles registered in NC. i believe as long as you have residence in another state, which it sounds like you do, you should not have to register in the state you are working since it is only temporary. most of my travels have been on the east coast and as far west as OK, never made it to california. my jobs typically last 4 months but i have done more than one in the same state and stayed 8-12 months. i dont know anything about california though. the law might look at it differantly but i am not registering my vehicle in every state i work in. they already get income taxes and that is enough for me. not to mention when yu register a vehicle you must also get a title to the vehicle in the state you are in. that would be annoying and pricey. just my :2cents:.

i have been traveling for work for the past 30 years(the past 13 in an RV) and always had my vehicles registered in NC. i believe as long as you have residence in another state, which it sounds like you do, you should not have to register in the state you are working since it is only temporary. most of my travels have been on the east coast and as far west as OK, never made it to california. my jobs typically last 4 months but i have done more than one in the same state and stayed 8-12 months. i dont know anything about california though. the law might look at it differantly but i am not registering my vehicle in every state i work in. they already get income taxes and that is enough for me. not to mention when yu register a vehicle you must also get a title to the vehicle in the state you are in. that would be annoying and pricey. just my :2cents:.

Thats good info. How do you go about getting the safety checks tho - aren't they required like every 2 years generally ?

In NC we have to get a safety inspection once a year within 90 days of tag renewal or they wont renew your tag. it is usually not hard for me to find my way home in that period. once that is done i can renew my tag by mail.tag renewal is done yearly also. + you must pay your property tax on the vehicle or else no tag. every body has got to get their xhare i rekon.

Guess I will ring the MO licencing/inspection and see what they say ........ or see if I can find MO regulations for out-of-state They never seem to really know when you call them tho - get different answers from diff people by phone :)

John, my understanding is that IF you move to another state and take up residency (buy or rent a house or apt.) then you need to register your vehicle(s) there. If you have a home or apt. in another state (sticks or bricks as the saying goes) then you are considered a visitor to another state. You must keep a physical address in your home state to still claim to be a resident. In other words, keep your current address as your permanent address and don't worry about registering your truck in Cali.

John, my understanding is that IF you move to another state and take up residency (buy or rent a house or apt.) then you need to register your vehicle(s) there. If you have a home or apt. in another state (sticks or bricks as the saying goes) then you are considered a visitor to another state. You must keep a physical address in your home state to still claim to be a resident. In other words, keep your current address as your permanent address and don't worry about registering your truck in Cali.

Yeah thx man I was speaking with a friend (cop) last night - he said some states say that if you are more than 30 days and FT employed you need to bre resident - and can be fined for not doing so. He suggested what you said - but if ever pulled over and asked - just say your vistinig CA for friends and looking for work - and not give any more info. That way perfectly fine to be an out of state "visitor" as the 30 days can't be enforced until you have a job. :)

As my bro found out NY likes to target out of state vehicles for radar traps... they figure tourists will not return to contest in court.In Rhode Island, if you move you are supposed to register your vehicle & get a new License (and they take & destroy your out of state license) at 30 days. Nearby states are similar. Years ago that happened to me & I immediately obtained a duplicate of my oroginal licence to replace the one I'd turned in... I moved back to my home state within a short time. A lot of summer residents beach (and ignore) the 30 days bit. Our daughter moved out of state & used our address as a permanent residence and kept her RI license & plates. She's back in state & renting now. It is very tough to prove when someone becomes a resident... taxes... voting...

yeah reading more and more on this seems the sticking point will be EMPLOYED in CA.Once employed meant to start paying CA fees and switch licence over.Think I will just say I am visting/touring - as in my opinion - I am from MO and thats what I am doing - touring :) blah

You have to remember that your not paying your fair share of taxes to Calif. if you don't register it! Every state wants as much as they can get now adays.

umm ?? ok ?? I pay my taxes - just not willing to go through a bunch of BS for a diesel truck. When CA can develop a smog/emission safe VW TDI that can tow 15k pounds and cost less than $30k new I would be happy to switch over. I don't have $65k to buy a new 2011 emissions safe truck. :2cents: