• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tempting myself with an exhaust brake

I am wondering if there is anybody here with an exhaust brake on a 2nd gen with automatic tranny? Do they work good together? There are transmission controls available that lock the torque convertor while braking but do they only lock up in overdrive and drive, or in gears below that? I've been trying to cut through the clutter on everything that's available but not having much luck. Hopefully someone here can help me out. Also what's the best brand to be looking at? Thanks!

• Owner

Talk to CajFlynn he's had a exhaust brake on his 01 with automatic trans but the last I knew it wore out... He can tell you... As for me I'm still running around on the factory brake pads from the dealer when I bought my truck brand new in 2002. NEVER done a brake pad replacement yet. I've serviced the calipers twice now but continue to re-use the old pads. Exhaust brake are well worth it and save your rotors and pads considerably. :smart:

parts needed are simply, a good TC, a shift kit, or a master rebuild kit, a billet imput shaft. And if course a lockup switch or controller.The PAC brake has a automatic delay built in for auto transmissions that will allow the TC to lock, then it will stay engaged down to 15mph, then it unlocks.a built transmission is not a suggestion it is required.

while i have heard alot and did alot more research i am lead to believe the PACBrake PXRB is the best option. My understandfing is the PXRb holds better back pressure, now since i don't have one or much of anything related my stuff is just that theory.

I just took a peak over at CF and there's a new-in-box Jacob's brake over there. The guy is asking $600. Good, bad, or somewhere in between? It is Dodge part # 82204664. P.S. I'm also wondering if there's any way to control the transmission shift points so that I can manually downshift and get the RPM high enough to make the brake work? I guess it must work since guys have them but these are just questions that I have. That one just sold:banghead: But I'd still like an answer about the shifting if someone can help.

• Owner

No... Not that I know of the automatic trans will go up and stay locked if using a lockup switch. But thinking of it for a sec... I don't know if it would work... But select a gear down and the release the torque converter for a sec to allow the transmission to gear down and then lockup again. Once again I don't know if it will work though? :shrug: I paid $750 for mine back in 2002...

• Owner

with a billet TC and a billet input shaft you can make locked shifts. although this is at a minimum.

No wonder why the Automatics didn't get the exhuast brake as a option from the dealer...:rolleyes: Another person to talk to is CajFlynn he's used a exhaust brake on his 01 automatic for many miles...

No wonder why the Automatics didn't get the exhuast brake as a option from the dealer...:rolleyes: Another person to talk to is CajFlynn he's used a exhaust brake on his 01 automatic for many miles...

AFAICR, exhaust brakes were not a dealer option until 2004, i mean you could buy the jake kit and have the dealer install it but it wasn't really going to do much for us automatic guys, until the 48re came out with its lockable valve body. the 48re fixed all the weak spots of the 47re's. The 48re's are capable of lock up i think. This is why most guys who have a exhaust brake at a minimal do a shift kit/VB, a billet TC and a billet input shaft, but this is for mostly stock engines. Obviously if you take a 500HP motor and try to jake it with a lightly tuned tranny (like above) you'll smash it all up. Goerend is the only company i know of that has a trans that is capable of lock up in all gears. The new Air pacbrakes i think i read somewhere said that you can flash into the memory a program that changed the lock up valves of the exhaust brake if you have a 48re, and as such can control shifting and lock up when it is in enabled. Of course mike if i wasn't ready to pass out and sleep ide call you up and tell you have getting my tires aligned caused me to drop a steady 100^F on my egt's, and how my mpg went up from ~16.2 to ~17.4:lol:

• Staff

Yeah it did come out with the HPCR trucks, but wasn't offered as soon as the HPCR came out. There are a few 47RE's behind HPCR's from early 03, and I beleive they are all SO or Cali rated, so I am 99% certain all auto HO's are 48RE equipped.