• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

You'll have starting issues because during cranking the fuel pump is modulated at 50% duty cycle to reduce fuel pressure during cranking. So more than likely this is not the answer to your problem. But if the ECM is not supplying good power your most likely going to have ECM problem eventually...

• Owner

Typically most all aftermarket pump have a control relay unless its one of the cheap factory replacement pump like FASS DDRP or simular. Not sure on ECM replacement but I know that the VIN number has to flash into it... I know Dodge gets there ECM blank and you must bring the truck to them and have it flashed.

i went the rebuild route on the ecm. the provider promised quick turn around in most cases. it took almost 3 weeks to get it back and it did not work. they honored the warranty but it took 5 weeks more for them to get it back to me. the whole while i am having to rent a vehicle to get to work. theyalso kept my core charge, they said my core was unrebuildable. six months later i am sitting on the side of the road with a bad ecm again. i spent a wad of money trying to save few hundred. i ended up getting another one thru a local mechanic form chrysler. the mechanic had the equipment to program the ecm. unless someone knows a reputable rebuilder i would never by another from anyone else. you can check here or some of the other forums and see if someone has one for sale, i am sure they can be reprogramed. with as many aftermarket fuel systems you can buy or put together yourself i dont think i read of one screwing up the computer. it is just a fuel pump.

truck still wont start only now fuel pump does come on and stays on for appox. 1 minute after key is turned off even if i remove fuel pump relay!normally when the no start ocurrs the fuel pump will not come on.at least now i feel like i may be able to find the problem with a little help,all the times in the past i would wait a few minutes and it would start right up like nothing ever happened.its a pain trying to fix something that was working again.i dont understand why the fuel pump stays on after i remove the keys from ignition and remove the fuel pump relay! please any suggestions:banghead::banghead::cookoo: thanks kenny

I'm no good with helping you with your last post but I can make an ECM suggestion. I just put in a rebuilt one from Go ECM. Works like a charm so far and it has a 1 year warranty. When I talked to them they only had 1 left after I bought one. They said they're getting really hard to find since there's so many failing. :2cents:

it hasnt showed any codes using the key switch method, but i dont have a code reader. i am going to check my wires and see where im losing voltage in the morning while its still bearable outside. 100 degree temps here in tallahassee and my truck is in the middle of the field.i will post my findings tomorrow. thanks for the help,kenny.

key method does work on my truck but i only get 1 p-done.checked voltage to vp44(pin7) and only had 3 v.checked ground (pin6)had continuity.i did not get to check voltage at relay because it started up, so i guess im handicapped again because its hard to fix something thats working. is it hard to open up the pdc?thanks kenny.

key method does work on my truck but i only get 1 p-done.

Thats the problemm with that year of truck. You should be getting "done" twice. Maybe your not waiting long enough for the second done. The code is only from one computer. You could still have codes in the other computer.

key method does work on my truck but i only get 1 p-done.checked voltage to vp44(pin7) and only had 3 v.checked ground (pin6)had continuity.i did not get to check voltage at relay because it started up, so i guess im handicapped again because its hard to fix something thats working. is it hard to open up the pdc?thanks kenny.

my pdc has 2 tabs, one on each side. just squeeze them and lift up. the pdc is just behind the drivers side battery on my 02.

I got "done" 2X no codes. The dealer claimed "no codes" but I don't trust them to have used the code reader as they missed the electrical issue & jumped to the Failed Fuel Pump diagnosis. As I posted at the time, Diesel shop got 4 codes. I don't understand it but there it is.

i am going to shiver diesel tomorow and see what they say. one thing i have learned about these truckes is that there is alot of guessing. but maybe they can find some codes that may relate. i just wish my truck had not started acting normal. it is hard to trouble shoot something that runs good. one week ,two weeks i will be stuck somewhere again.but i will hotwire the vp44 and go home!thanks kenny.tallahassee florida.

• Owner

Here is the wiring for both the VP44 and the lift pump...

VP44 Wiring... Take notice the fuel pump relay on top here. This is to supply power to the VP44...

Posted Image

Now take notice to the ECM has to + power leads heading towards the lift pump but there is NO relay in the circuit. But it relize on the driverside ground for its connection too.

Posted Image