• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I just installed a BHAF and heat shield in my truck and was wondering if you just use the filter minder out of the factory air box? If so do you also use the rubber bushing that is on it or do you get a different one somewhere. I also just ditched my Isolator in favor of a needle valve and was wondering how far to turn it out? :confused: ThanksBrandon

Ok thanks man I really appreciate it and thanks for letting us access all of the great information on your website. Do you happen to know what size hole to put in the BHAF to accept the filter minder?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I have a BHAF on my truck but no filter minder fitted. Where/how do you guys fit them? Do you just drill a hole in the end and plug it in? :confused: :confused:

Yeap... Just use all the stock stuff... Like the rubber grommet and the filter minder from the stock box... :thumbsup

If you don't have a filterminder - the cheapest that I have seen is Thermoking. They have a 1/8 th pipe connection and can be plumbed with tubing to the dash like the big trucks or set on a bracket on a bulkhead fitting as well as the grommet and adapter.A vacuum gauge has the same information if you are looking at it at the highest engine speed.They can show high if the paper gets wet but still have a lot of life left.keydl

• Owner

If you don't have a filterminder - the cheapest that I have seen is Thermoking. They have a 1/8 th pipe connection and can be plumbed with tubing to the dash like the big trucks or set on a bracket on a bulkhead fitting as well as the grommet and adapter. A vacuum gauge has the same information if you are looking at it at the highest engine speed. They can show high if the paper gets wet but still have a lot of life left. keydl

Here is another site for you Keydl... http://www.filterminder.com/

All the new applications!It only takes a couple of unneeded filter changes to pay for a filterminder, maybe 3 on a common gasser.The 2.2 filter is a cheap gasser ( $4 ) and the last from Thermoking was about $13 IIRC. But the 2.2 is NA so the process is built in, if it smokes more it needs a filter.keydl

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, not sure if this is the righ place for the question, but here goes. I just installed bhaf and was wondering if i need a heat sheild . If so can some one tell me the dimensions of the heat sheild earlier in this post if they have made one or am I just not reading the diagram right. Great site use it all the time, good job moparman.thanks in advance, super007

• Owner

hi all, not sure if this is the righ place for the question, but here goes. I just installed bhaf and was wondering if i need a heat sheild . If so can some one tell me the dimensions of the heat sheild earlier in this post if they have made one or am I just not reading the diagram right. Great site use it all the time, good job moparman. thanks in advance, super007

Here is the template for the BHAF. Just print it out and tape it together.

thanks moparman, did and it worked out great and looks good under the hood. the bhaf sure has the truck running a lot cooler on the pyrometer, also put a 4 inch exhaust on but it seems that putting the filter in made the biggest difference on heat. also running my comp on 4x4 towing my 27 foot trailer and it pulls great, luv it.So thanks, agian and this is a great site.thanks, super007

Most guys will drill the end of the filter to mount their minders on/in.I have yet to understand why anyone would want to do this as to me once you drill the filter you compromise its ability to properly filter your air by allowing another place for dirt to easily slip by.See what most owners do not consider when doing one of these filters is that they are designed for a much larger and more demanding class 8 motor than what ours are and are changed at much longer intervals on those other class 8 motors.Most Class 8 diesel owners will run their air filters about 60k before checking or changing them so with that thought imagine what the possible service life of this size filter could be on our trucks.Its my opinion that if your running a good pre-filter do not drill for the minder just keep the pre-filter clean and check the BHAF surface when you do it.The one which was on my truck way back when had 40k on it when I passed it on to a local member when I went to the higher flowing and more efficient AFE Stage 2.I know he put another 30k on it before he came back to me asking about where to get a new filter.I know its your truck and your decision,but,if it was mine the minder would go to the attic with the stock airbox...............Andy

• 4 months later...