• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any experience repairing power steering pump?

My power steering pump looses fluid. The front of it is always wet with fluid, and it leaves spots under the truck.Any advise on fixing it?Such as: any special tools, level of difficulty, is there a seal kit? etc.Thanks for any help.John

never had to go into mine yet,but when i am in there i will also do the vacume pump also. i think they both run of the same drive. they both have a rebuild kit available and dont appear to be that difficult to work on. since i have never done it i could be wrong, but would not have any qualms about tackling it.

• Owner

As for power steering pump most time its just replaced as a unit. As for removal remove the entire assembly from the gear case and work with outside the engine area is must easier than working in the engine area on only the power steering unit. As for preventing pump failure is simple do the required power steering fluid changes every 30K miles and they will ast a very long time.

• 3 months later...

I'm still living with this leak, adding fluid every week or so.I was under the truck yesterday and saw it's not the pump that's leaking it's the steering box.Does the same advice still apply?.. replace the unit?Parts store has seals etc for less than $20 but a steering box is closer to 200$Anybody here ever rebuilt the steering box?Thanks, John

I did the box last year. I went to the dealer for the parts because they give me a deal on all my stuff.

I used jack stands to get the front end (tires off the ground) Remove the nut Keep track of how it comes apart and the direction the seals come out. Remove the nut set aside. you need a snap ring removal tool.

They look like this. Get the ring out. Now put the washer back on and the nut only about 2 turns. Get a pan under the truck steering box. Start the truck and really move the wheel side to side I mean hard. Have someone looking under. All the guts will pop out. Shut off truck. Now you have to remove the nut and the guts. Look at how it comes off. Put new parts in. Fill with Power steering fluid not tranny fluid (some do bad idea) Now with the engine off but the key on turn the wheel side to side. It will get the air out, Re fill Start the truck do the same refill as needed. Edit: i cant seem to remove the last line if this post above the picture .

Then get the ring out.

Posted Image

--- Update to the previous post...

When you first remove the nut there is a washer under it then the snap ring. Get the snap ring out then put the big washer back on then the nut just 2 turns. The fluid will push the seals out when you start the truck and turn the wheel. This will force all the parts onto the nut,you dont have to dig the seals out.

There is no ballbearings that will fall out, at least on my 01 there were none. The hardest part is finding the snap ring size. My tool came with several different ones. Funny thing, a finishing nail worked for me, i just ground both sides of the nail.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was doing some other stuff on my truck the other day. It was one of those rare occasions where I had my wife available to help me, so I decided to really investigate this leak proper-like.She was turning the steering wheel while I investigated with a good light.Lo and behold I found a tiny pinhole leak in the pressure hose. Only visible when the light reflected off of it and only when she was turning the wheel.Long story short, 1 new pressure hose and 20 dollars later I seem to be leak free.

Normally, you can replace seals. Peter Gould sells a seal kit and video on how to do it. I've posted generic seal descriptions & specs but xp machine is down. (____ Microsoft and the virus writers), I saw fluid dripping from between the PS & vac pump. Seal install was easy especially with Peter's video. See if there is something on you tube. I have only replaced seals and don't know if no vac would condemn the pump.