• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Truns Black Quick

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I believe that the turbo is the culprit for the black oil. The seals/bearings on the exhaust side of the turbo allows the exhaust soot to pass into the oil as the oil passes through the turbo and back into the oil pan. If we could put an external oil supply on our Cummins that's just for the turbo then our engine oil would probably be clean/clear until at least 5000 miles and the oil for the turbo would take on the blackness.

• Staff

I believe that the turbo is the culprit for the black oil. The seals/bearings on the exhaust side of the turbo allows the exhaust soot to pass into the oil as the oil passes through the turbo and back into the oil pan. If we could put an external oil supply on our Cummins that's just for the turbo then our engine oil would probably be clean/clear until at least 5000 miles and the oil for the turbo would take on the blackness.

I believe it's the piston design. The 04.5-07 uses a non reentrant piston, the only time Cummins has ever done this. The 04.5-07 also runs the dirtiest, appearance wise, oil of any Ram (except a stock 6.7, but a deleted 6.7 is cleaner). The reason I say it's the piston is because of all the things that contribute to the in-cylinder EGR and black oil the piston is the only thing left in my motor. I changed the cam, turbo, timing, and 3rd injection even it gone. If you look at the link below you will see that I got my oil CLEAN, and within 1500 miles it was back to black. I don't know when it happened as I was busy and didn't check it until about 1500 miles after 50 miles. At 50 miles it was barely colored with a tinge of gray. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/6744-Little-experiment-with-BLACK-oil?p=66365#post66365

I believe it's the piston design. The 04.5-07 uses a non reentrant piston, the only time Cummins has ever done this. The 04.5-07 also runs the dirtiest, appearance wise, oil of any Ram (except a stock 6.7, but a deleted 6.7 is cleaner). The reason I say it's the piston is because of all the things that contribute to the in-cylinder EGR and black oil the piston is the only thing left in my motor. I changed the cam, turbo, timing, and 3rd injection even it gone. If you look at the link below you will see that I got my oil CLEAN, and within 1500 miles it was back to black. I don't know when it happened as I was busy and didn't check it until about 1500 miles after 50 miles. At 50 miles it was barely colored with a tinge of gray. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/6744-Little-experiment-with-BLACK-oil?p=66365#post66365

This^^^^!!! And in a "stock" engine ('04.5+), the retarded timing and 3rd injection event happening after TDC.