• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

If you read my tranny post recently, you know I have been having issues with my truck while hauling my 5th wheel. I have posted a couple of posts on here and I have to say, I have learned alot already from a bunch of good, knowledgable people on this forum. For that I say "Thank You"!!!! Mike had the kindness to call me personally tonight and talk to me for almost an hour and discuss my truck issues. Mike, you are one hell of a guy and I will always support this site and tell many others!!!!! Great people like you are hard to find and I thank you once again for the great information. You sound like one hell of a guy. Mike was even giving major credit to all the people on the forum too who have found out some information he passed along to me. Ok, for the truck update. At first I thought I was having transmission shifting issues. I never did smell any burning transmission smell, my oil looked very red yet (had it changed 8000 miles ago with filter), it never clunked nor make any noise. The more i look into it, the more I think it is not the tranny. After talking to Mike today and my error code I got yesterday (but not today when I checked it again) I got the famous P0216 code meaning the injector pump is going. Well I ran a scan today with my SuperChip and I got no code nor did I clear out the code from yesterday. Ran the code thru my truck too with the turning on the truck key fast 3x, no error code either. So, I did a few things today. I printed off a few article from this site for my homework tonight. I tested the lifter pump volume. Says to disconnect after the filter and measure the amount that comes out after you bump the starter but dont start the truck. Article says to have 45oz or more of fuel becuase the pump will run I believe 25 seconds. I am guessing I have about 42oz. Says anything under 45 replace the lifter pump. Secondly I checked the APP sensor. Checked the voltage which was in spec but the resistance was way off (assuming I did that correctly):pray:. I will ask one of the controls engineers at work tomorrow.:smart: If I did do it correctly, I need to replace the APP sensor. Resistance is to be 5 Ohms if I recall, and my meter is reading .5 Ohms. Third thing, I took off that K&N air filter like everyone else here said to do and put back my paper media filter. I am going to order the BHFA air filter and cover. $75 is cheap in my opinion for a longer turbo life. Changed my fuel filter also. I have a few more things to check thanks to Mike, but this is all I got to today. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

• Owner

Mike ? Mike ? :shrug:

Geez... You called me enough to fix your misfire... :lmao2::lmao: (Dang older people...) :cookoo:

--- Update to the previous post...

If you read my tranny post recently, you know I have been having issues with my truck while hauling my 5th wheel. I have posted a couple of posts on here and I have to say, I have learned alot already from a bunch of good, knowledgable people on this forum. For that I say "Thank You"!!!!

Mike had the kindness to call me personally tonight and talk to me for almost an hour and discuss my truck issues. Mike, you are one hell of a guy and I will always support this site and tell many others!!!!! Great people like you are hard to find and I thank you once again for the great information. You sound like one hell of a guy. Mike was even giving major credit to all the people on the forum too who have found out some information he passed along to me.

Ok, for the truck update. At first I thought I was having transmission shifting issues. I never did smell any burning transmission smell, my oil looked very red yet (had it changed 8000 miles ago with filter), it never clunked nor make any noise. The more i look into it, the more I think it is not the tranny.

Well with any towing a trans temp gauge is the best thing to do...

After talking to Mike today and my error code I got yesterday (but not today when I checked it again) I got the famous P0216 code meaning the injector pump is going. Well I ran a scan today with my SuperChip and I got no code nor did I clear out the code from yesterday. Ran the code thru my truck too with the turning on the truck key fast 3x, no error code either.

I like I told you on the phone its rather weird for a P0216 code to come and then go. Lift pump is for sure a issue...

So, I did a few things today. I printed off a few article from this site for my homework tonight. I tested the lifter pump volume. Says to disconnect after the filter and measure the amount that comes out after you bump the starter but dont start the truck. Article says to have 45oz or more of fuel becuase the pump will run I believe 25 seconds. I am guessing I have about 42oz. Says anything under 45 replace the lifter pump.

That confirms the lift pump being shot... 42 ozs is roughly 8 PSI...

Secondly I checked the APP sensor. Checked the voltage which was in spec but the resistance was way off (assuming I did that correctly):pray:. I will ask one of the controls engineers at work tomorrow.:smart: If I did do it correctly, I need to replace the APP sensor. Resistance is to be 5 Ohms if I recall, and my meter is reading .5 Ohms.

Well like you said youi had some mild issues of dead pedal so most likely there is a problem there... But you truck is like Caj's where it doesn't throw a APPS code but mis-behaves... :rolleyes:

Third thing, I took off that K&N air filter like everyone else here said to do and put back my paper media filter. I am going to order the BHFA air filter and cover. $75 is cheap in my opinion for a longer turbo life.

Good choice...

Changed my fuel filter also. I have a few more things to check thanks to Mike, but this is all I got to today. Will keep you posted.

Comments in red... (So other can hear my half of the conversation...)

Don't take that from those guys Mike:lmao: Well got approval for the order today that I am doing on Monday. I checked my APPS and re-plugged it in with a check engine light on. Disconnected the battery and did the re-calibration and "Wolla" no check engine light. Ok, so here is the order for Monday. My plans are to shop around online for pricing tomorrow. 1. 4" exhaust with muffler from the turbo back.2. Ditched my K&N filter and looking at a BHAF with the cover. I want a heat shield, where can I get one?3. New lift pump that Mike suggested.4. 4 guages - Boost, fuel pressure, tranny & exhaust 5. 3 rail pod and a single over the steering column . open to suggestions on the best place for the guages?? Any suggestions on which website to look & purchase?

Forget the muffler and get a 4" x 30" resonater from Fast Track Enterprises in Ohio. It is one of the best upgrades for your truck. He can sell you the whole kit. You'll get a straight through exhaust system and then cut in where you want the resonator to go. You want it as far forward as possible. That means it will be just beyond the bend of the DP. You will thank me after you get it installed. I installed mine myself. All you need is a saws all.

• Like 1

• Owner

Don't take that from those guys Mike:lmao:

Well got approval for the order today that I am doing on Monday. I checked my APPS and re-plugged it in with a check engine light on. Disconnected the battery and did the re-calibration and "Wolla" no check engine light.

Ok, so here is the order for Monday. My plans are to shop around online for pricing tomorrow.

1. 4" exhaust with muffler from the turbo back.

2. Ditched my K&N filter and looking at a BHAF with the cover. I want a heat shield, where can I get one?

Here is the template ot build one...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/bhaf/BHAF_Template.doc

3. New lift pump that Mike suggested.

4. 4 guages - Boost, fuel pressure, tranny & exhaust

5. 3 rail pod and a single over the steering column . open to suggestions on the best place for the guages??

Here some listings...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/manufacture/manufacture.htm

Any suggestions on which website to look & purchase?

Forget the muffler and get a 4" x 30" resonater from Fast Track Enterprises in Ohio. It is one of the best upgrades for your truck. He can sell you the whole kit. You'll get a straight through exhaust system and then cut in where you want the resonator to go. You want it as far forward as possible. That means it will be just beyond the bend of the DP. You will thank me after you get it installed. I installed mine myself. All you need is a saws all.

Caj really does have a quiet truck the amount of times I talked to him on the road I've NEVER heard the truck... :smart:

oooh that Mike, yea his a pretty good fella :lmao:

:duh: Dang JL... :lmao:

See what I got to put up with??? :cookoo:

Still think its funny as hell... :lmao::lmao2:

gonna have to try that one. the weld is breaking on my exhaust at the mount at the back of the trannny. figure i am going to have to fix it soon. does it really take that 2000 rpm drone away. that drives me crazy on a long trip.

My Muffler is starting to have some rust issues on the after pipe, so it's only a matter of time. Was thinking of just keeping the factory res & going straight pipe! I keep mig welding the tail pie back on but that only lasts about 1k miles. I have some 16ga that might help for awhile. Just keep riggin it up! I will keep that in mind if I need. That's my neck of the woods! Dave:hyper: