• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mystery Knocking Sound

What is the Noise?!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Noise?!

I will do that. Seems though. With the sound she is making and the noise gets quieter I'm leaning to a piston. But never the less my first step will be an oil analysis.

--- Update to the previous post...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNTJEQbDhI

quieter when she gets up to full operating temp after 15 miles at 60 mph... louder in the first 6-8 miles...

Narrows it down to piston or bearing/bushing. Hard to see in the videos, But it looked too shiny for either so It could be chrome off cam lobe or follower. Can't remember right off if the lift pump has a lever or roller that rides on the cam if roller it could be chrome from it as well.

The lift pump has a tappet. Solid rod with mushroom end that rides on cam.When I went to go start her to heat the oil up to take a sample I noticed it did Something it never did before and it seemed to have a slight miss.. not bad so I am thinking that cylinder is starting to loose compression and not firing. After a few seconds she smoothed out besides that noise... Took a sample.. off to the mail tomorrow to cat for the verdict.

Well considering when your talking to Mr Wizard when your talking to CAT and having them check your oil. The saw an increased amount of Al that would be normal but nothing to do but watch whats going on..I said "Watch"? I can hear it...They filtered it and called back. They said the sample contained too-big of Al to make it into their graph,chart.ect. He said yup alot of Al. tin-0 silver-0 copper-1 lead-0 bearings look good on ppm...SOOO Money and decisions...head comes off...look for carnage... :)

Motor pressure washed. Injector lines off, wire harness removed. Intake off and valve covers loosened. Tomorrow push rods,return line exhaust manifold and whatever else gets in the way...Ok one note: upon Psi washing I covered the BHAF. NOTE NOTE NOTE: DO NOT FORGET TO UNCOVER IT AFTER WHEN YOU MOVE TRUCK INTO SHOP. IT WILL ACCORDION AND COLLAPSE! My wife had the giggles after I puled it out to show her.... I reminded her that her Vp-44 is still bad and she promptly continued doing other things :)

Head off and I found......Notaphuckingthing..I Did place a 6 pack sequential in a row that looked awesome but promptly drank them.I'm wondering now... Aluminum.... How many aluminum parts are in a p7100

The p7100 IS aluminum.......hum... Wondering if something is tearing up in pump... Pulling it off and sending to oregon fuel injection to be tested and inspected.

my truck has a similar knock as well, i would dare to say it is a timing knock.it will be noticeable as it gets worse, (if it is)i know that my vp-44 has a fuel leak and the fuel is leaking into the engine oil, and as a result the truck hard starts when cold and has high EGT's all of this started right after i had the skinny pedal down for the count.In the process of avoiding an accident my trucks rpm's went from 1,200 to 3,000 rpm's in a flash, and the engine never acted the same ever again.

Pump is off. Decided a change of venue. I called Industrial injection and they will test and calibrate it for about $150. They also have new head bolts and head gasget for $189. Cummins Parts. I have fingers crossed that they will find something that doesnt seem right. I will keep updating. Now just need to find enough foam and a box to pack this thing into and send it off.

Pump is off. Decided a change of venue. I called Industrial injection and they will test and calibrate it for about $150. They also have new head bolts and head gasget for $189. Cummins Parts. I have fingers crossed that they will find something that doesnt seem right. I will keep updating. Now just need to find enough foam and a box to pack this thing into and send it off.

Nothing against II but I hope you got that figure in writing as they usually charge more for repairs than they do to sell you a different pump, I know of this happening with them on several occasions.

You can still send it to II just make sure you specifically let them know that the price they stated will be stuck to. If they do make repairs make sure you talk to them and discuss pricing before the repairs. I know of people sending in VP44 pumps to repair thinking that it would be chaper and when the final bill came they could have bought a reman from the a lot cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

The pump tested good. They adjusted the plungers and timming. Will be installing soon.what would a single exaust leak sound like say the #1 exaust manifold gasget leak sound like? Would it be louder than a 460 or a 454 exaust leak... Louder and perhaps metalic due to the amount of exaust coming out from it because of higher compression? The noise did quiet down when it heated up... This would be embarassing if all it was is a exaust leak.

• 1 month later...

Injecton pump balanced and timed.Timming set for 15.05.New head bolts and .010 head gasget.Valves adjusted to .08 and .18Noise is MIA. The normal noises are there but not the one that was there.Clutch started slipping and found that #6 valve cover was leaking oil so I gave it a simple green bath and Psi bath and now its fine.The torque procedures for this engine are interestingly different than what I expected and I was able to time the pump in the first shot.