• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My Nexted Welding Truck

jlwelding

My question is why is this listed as something to brag about: Also an electric windshield wiper system. Are they normally manual or what?

Nope, they are normally air operated, lots of older over the road trucks were air as well as lots of other types of equipment with air operated wipers.

Nope, they are normally air operated, lots of older over the road trucks were air as well as lots of other types of equipment with air operated wipers.

Forgot about that. One guy told me when he floored it in his car it would kill his wipers since I guess it doesn't produce any vacuum when you floor it. I know nothing about gassers :doh:

Forgot about that. One guy told me when he floored it in his car it would kill his wipers since I guess it doesn't produce any vacuum when you floor it. I know nothing about gassers :doh:

Actually acceleration or under constant throttle produces vacuum, decel or no fuel coasting is a vacuum loss. Having a vacuum line for accesories hooked to port vacuum versus manifold vacuum which is more consistant and constant will cause issues also. This is of course talking about carburated engines, Throttle body and other fuel injected engines are a bit different but you get the drift.

This one had a 617 Detroit with no blower :duh: but still had lots of power.

I think you mean a 6-71, I am not saying that it does't have a blower but I have never seen a 71 series without a blower, some ran with or without turbos but never saw one without a blower.:shrug: the smaller 53 series run without blowers.

I am sorry about that my brain is still at work. Yea 6-71 and sure nuf the blower capped off. The gear ratio is so low that it would have blowen the eng. pretty quick. All natrual. The 671 came out of Terx TS-24 scraper.

The blower is mounted directly to the side of the block so there is no way to block it off unless it was removed completely and a cover put over the blower hole on the side of the block and a cover over the blower drive off the engine pto housing, plus it is a governed diesel so it will run at rated governed speed all day long with no worries of blowing it up unless it was oversped in gear going down hill too fast or down shifting too soon and causing an engine overspeed.

When I was a kid... the school busses had vacume wipers. They'd slow or stop when picking up speed.

Actually acceleration or under constant throttle produces vacuum, decel or no fuel coasting is a vacuum loss.

Try this with a vacuum gauge hooked up and tell me the results. When the engine in turning with the throttle plate closed it is producing maximum vacuum.

You ever heard a two stroke Detroit run away with it's self? The blower was removed and with a five speed trans it would be a little difficult to shift gears with the blower mounted.:lol:

The blower is mounted directly to the side of the block so there is no way to block it off unless it was removed completely and a cover put over the blower hole on the side of the block and a cover over the blower drive off the engine pto housing, plus it is a governed diesel so it will run at rated governed speed all day long with no worries of blowing it up unless it was oversped in gear going down hill too fast or down shifting too soon and causing an engine overspeed.

Try this with a vacuum gauge hooked up and tell me the results. When the engine in turning with the throttle plate closed it is producing maximum vacuum.

Yep you are 100% correct, you caught my brain fart on that detail, there is a loss of vaccuum when going from idle to accel once the plate opens and then builds up again as more rpms create more vacuum and there is a direct relationship to rpms and throttle plate position in regaurds to the amount of vacuum it will create.

You ever heard a two stroke Detroit run away with it's self? The blower was removed and with a five speed trans it would be a little difficult to shift gears with the turbo mounted.:lol:

I have worked on detroits for years as I worked at a Terex dealership for a few years so I have personal experience on several occasions of standing right beside them when they run away. usually from a bad blower seal or turbo when they run away on oil or if they had an injector stick wide open with the old style injector rack that would lock all the injectors in wide open throttle. The new style racks were spring loaded so that when you pulled the shut down lever to put the injectors into no fuel if 1 stuck open then you could get all the rest to shut down and this was usually enough to slow it enough to kill it. You lost me with the turbo and shifting thing:shrug: Normally the turbo feeds air into the blower. I learned to drive truck in junior high with a 6-71 detroit and a manual 10 speed in a 1971 IH tandem axle grain truck.