• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone know what the factory engine temp gauge lines actually are?

Has anyone ever hooked up an aftermarket engine temperature gauge? I know the factory gauge says 190* on the middle mark but does anyone really know what temperature the other marks are supposed to be? You go from 190* in the middle, to the next line, and then nothing until 240*. Thats a big number jump to not know whats in between.post-131-138698180452_thumb.jpg

is there some science behind that? if there is i am running colder than i have been thinking.

I am going by memory but pretty sure thats what it ran. I used to have an analog gauge in there as well so that's how I know. 1998+ trucks have different gauges so that might be a little off from your's. My old crappy thermostat would always peg that upper line and I remember always seeing 210-212 and then it would fall to the lower line which was around 150. Now it gets to 190 and drops to 185 and stays in that 5F area.

• Owner

Results are in... I tried using a rheostat and the lower values are easy to hit but the upper value kept doing werid things so I went to resistors and stuffing different resistors into the plug. Tidbit though... I found out the lower the coolant temp the highier the idle is. At 0*F the idle is like 1,100 RPM on its own...:stuned:Lower mark is 165*F...post-2-138698180471_thumb.jpgJust for fun to show 207*F...post-2-138698180479_thumb.jpgUpper limit is going to be 220*Fpost-2-138698180499_thumb.jpg

post-2-138698180488_thumb.jpg