• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for lost MPG

Ok this is where I stand and I cant figure out where I lost some much mileage out of my truck. Where I first bought my truck in 2005 with 70k on the clock, I was getting around 20-21 mpg. Now it seem like I am lucky to get 16 or 17 with 165k on the clock. The only thing that I have done to truck is cut the muffer and soot trap out of it at first. Then about 3 or 4 months ago I put a BHAF on the truck. I havent really change my driving style other I am driving slower now and I switched from running lucas to running standadyne fuel treatment. I did replace my clutch about 3 months ago months from a single disc to a dual, also I did change my lift pump about 4 years ago to a raptor. I always keep up on the service intervals, I change my factory fuel fiter when I change my oil about every 4000 to 4500 miles. So my question is could my injestors in need of some TLC or could my lash be out of wack and change my miles that much. I just cant see my miles droping that much with everything that I have done to help the engine breath better or give it a good supply of fuel. I dont know I am lost and its driving me nuts.

That is very true but I cant belive that the clutch and air filter alone would cause me to loose somewhere between 4-5 mpg. I cant see that being the cause because I only just change the clutch about a month ago and the air filter about 3 months ago. This as been going on before I change the clutch and air filter and was running a stock air box.

I have been watching my fuel pressure before I change my lift pump to a raptor. I have it set to about 21 psi at idle and I drop about 19 at highway speeds. As far as my driving style I used to run around like a crazy man but I have lost the crazy and pick up old man insted. when I am climbing a grade I am seeing about 10 psi on my boost gauge. When i am running on flat ground I am seeing around 450 to 600 on my pyro. I change my fuel treatment about 2.5 years ago.

When I got sick at one point, the truck unavoidably sat for several winter months. The mpg was low ever after... otherwise drove normally... I towed heavy with it... & even passed state safety inspection once. Dealer said "no codes" & refused to look further. On the next annual state inspection, a different garage jacked the front wheels to check the ball joints. The front wheels would barely turn!! The discs had expanded outward so they dragged the caliper frame, even though the pads were good & worked normally. I don't think the mechanic had seen this before but I was watching when he did it... thankfully, he was good enough to look further when something did not seem just right. (It seemed odd when he checked the ball joint so he tried spinning the tire!) A brake job & the mpgs were back up.

The thought of a bad thermostat had me thinking...One of the tweeks... we've been trying "Winter Fronts" to block the grill in winter to raise underhood temps & speed warm up. Presuposes everything else being correct. If the IAT sensor went out, the engine would, likewise, stay in the "run rich" warm up mode. Is there a coolant temp sensor? Will these show Codes?

ahh ok, are your tires inflated properly? I will add that i have noticed my MPG went down a touch during the time i have owned my rig, the only other thing i can think of is my injectors are worn and dirty on the tips. I will be replacing them next year and i should regain my economy back.this is the last thing i can think of, i have about 164,000 miles on my rig