• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diys?

ackerdiesel

Not totally free but a great mod is the mod to the factory air box to get more cold air into it in the summer time. There are several names for it from hardware store mod or the company PSM cold air intake in my signature that makes a prefabbed kit.If its free I would like to know how to get the fogs to stay on with the high beams. I know there are kits to do this but how did you get it done for free?

Free or low cost (less than $100) Mods for an '04.5.......1. Fuel Tank Vent Mod..........makes filling your fuel tank much quicker and much more accurately.2. Stock Air Box Mod..........already mentioned above.3. Tone Wheel Mod............advances the static timing of the truck. Gives more "low end" oomf. May improve mileage.4. Ditch Factory Muffler........replace with straight pipe. With the kitty still on, won't be stupid loud. Back pressure.That's about all I can think of now. However, I will tell you this; if your truck still has the OEM lift pump on the back of the fuel filter housing, I'd replace that FIRST with a quality/proven system before I would do any of the free and cheap mods I listed. Those free and cheap mods ain't worth ____ if your LP dies and leaves you stranded!!!:smart: If you're on a budget, you don't want to have to get a tow.

• Like 1

• Staff

Be careful with a tone ring mod and Smarty timing, it would be easy to have too much timing with that setup.

A 6" isn't the best exhaust size for anything but sound, so if your looking for the best power/economy you may want to go back to 4" for less than about 700 rwhp.. unless you did it for sound.

--- Update to the previous post...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1986-Home-Deopt-CAI-on-a-3rd-Gen?highlight=

Be careful with a tone ring mod and Smarty timing, it would be easy to have too much timing with that setup.

That's why I run the default settings on my Smarty Revo....................SW5 mainly...............it doesn't advance the timing. My tone wheel is advanced all the way to the bolt holes. It's a couple of teeth on the wheel. I don't know how many degrees of advance that gives me, but when I did try the advanced timing with the Smarty+Tone Wheel Mod, I got some timing rattle. I didn't run it long enough to warm the truck up to see if it was only a cold engine thing; I changed back to stock timing right away.

Why would you use a static advance when you have a Smarty with dynamic advance? Timing is one of the best things about the Smarty.

Because I did the "tone wheel mod" long before I ever got the Smarty. Just never rotated the tone wheel back. Also, because it (my truck) ain't broke the way it is, and I don't want to "fix" it until it is!!!!!:lmao: JFYI, the way the tone wheel is made, there is some "slop" in it when you slide if onto the bolts even though it's keyed with a small pin on the end of the crank. So there is some variance (truck to truck) in timing even on trucks right off the assembly line. The way you advance the timing via the tone wheel, is to pull it off the truck, and file out the pin hole so that you essentially increase the "slop" in it when you reinstall it. When you go to tighten the bolts back down, you just need to make sure that is stays in the advanced position. As I said above, I filed the pin hole out so that hits the bolt holes of the wheel now when rotated all the way.

Smoke/ Mileage diff. uhhh I am all ears now, you got my attention. What's this tone wheel mod.? I totally do not understand that one.Mileage on my 05 s---'s big, 15 in town and 16 hwy and smokes like it has a tuner when you put your foot in it.My 11k 01 gets 16 :lmao:

Smoke/ Mileage diff. uhhh I am all ears now, you got my attention. What's this tone wheel mod.? I totally do not understand that one. Mileage on my 05 s---'s big, 15 in town and 16 hwy and smokes like it has a tuner when you put your foot in it. My 11k 01 gets 16 :lmao:

I've been banned by the sites where this info would be. They're Cummins Forum and Diesel Truck Resource. Do a search at those sites with these words.........tone, wheel, rokkteck, sensor, timing..........those should get you in the ball park. These threads are pretty old though. I'm not a 'puter guy, and I don't know if those threads are still available to see?????? Help Mike!!! You can achieve essentially the same timing advancement with the Smartys also, and you don't get your hands dirty. To do the tone wheel mod, you have to pull of the dampner first. The tone wheel is directly behind it and is held with the same 4 bolts. Not a lot a room under there.........but it can be done.