• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Be careful with those kinds of chargers. I've seen a few time at the local fire dept where they use the same kind of chargers. I've seen these little chargers dry out batteries... Since the charger can't sense the battery temperature and adjust accordingly it can turn the battery overly warm and gassy. Just make sure to check the battery electrolyte levels on a set schedule and pay attention to batteries that are losing more water than typical or batteries that are overly warm.

I have been looking for a good charger to buy. I'd like one of the newer chargers that has the three level charge and renews (desulfates) the battery. I haven't found anything that is very informative as of yet. It appears that the old manual chargers like I have are dependable, but very old school compared to the computerized new ones.Does anyone have a suggestion or any experience with these new chargers?

I'm just shocked you got 10 years..... Hope those Walmart batteries last for you too because I've heard to many times that they're garbage. But you seem pretty particular about battery upkeep. So keep us posted.

On a Mercedes page they told me to run from the Wally World Brand, slowest crank speed & get one made by Varta I think. All new to me, they told me to get a Super Start from O'Reilly's. I do have a 24FN from Wally World that goes between my wife's Passport & Prelude Winter/Summer & it seems to be doing fine. She drives like 40 min to work so not much short trip stuff for her. I do the Battery Tender thing when battery's sit like for my ATV's, Jet Ski's, Lawn Tractor, etc. I'm sure that has helped, when the green light comes on I just leave it for a week or so till put it on the next batt. The Tender is supposed to help w whatever eats the lead inside the batt. I have an Interstate for my Kubota & I bet I have 10 yrs on that. Mike, you are the Bomb Tho! Dave

Honestly I never cared much about battery hoopla. Talking batteries always turns into an oil thread.....:)

So which is the best oil to apply to who's best battery? :stirthepot: I killed my stock batteries years ago by taking care of them....I took them out cleaned them off with the hose and some purple cleaner, and reinstalled with some spray on terminal covering. Oh Well. Threw in some red tops and its been good ever since, well now its seems to not be spinning as fast either. Had the redtops since 05 so not too bad I guess. So how do you check the acid on maint free batteries? The ones I seem to see are sealed? I remember by dad's old batteries. Each cell had a little screw on cap and that cool looking acid pitcher for the batteries. Had a nozzle that opened when you insterted it into the battery cell opening. I wonder if I still have his old acid tester...Tested the specific gravity of the acid with the floating gauge.

• Owner

So which is the best oil to apply to who's best battery? :stirthepot: I killed my stock batteries years ago by taking care of them....I took them out cleaned them off with the hose and some purple cleaner, and reinstalled with some spray on terminal covering. Oh Well. Threw in some red tops and its been good ever since, well now its seems to not be spinning as fast either. Had the redtops since 05 so not too bad I guess. So how do you check the acid on maint free batteries? The ones I seem to see are sealed? I remember by dad's old batteries. Each cell had a little screw on cap and that cool looking acid pitcher for the batteries. Had a nozzle that opened when you insterted it into the battery cell opening. I wonder if I still have his old acid tester...Tested the specific gravity of the acid with the floating gauge.

As for what oil to use its just plain ol' engine oil 15w-40... As for what most likely killed them is the purple cleaner and then when you hosed them off you most likely forced the cleaner into the cells or the cooler water created a mild vacuum on the battery and drew it in. Batteries don't like the electrolyte being contaminated with other chemicals. Then with the red tops or any sealed batteries in time they loose there water content from the cells and start to dry out. If you switch back over to a typical wet cell battery and keep after it you be right back to 5-10 year life span again.