• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump Wiring questions

• Staff

I have two more stock Lift pumps to burn up before I get a Raptor. Anyhow, would it be okay to use an 85 amp continious duty mechanical type relay (you know the old style with contacts inside) instead of the solid state ones you guys are using? Wanna run the pump off the batteries or the Alternator like some are doing, but, don't understand.... doesn't the alt put out too much amps or volts till it goes thru the volt meter first?? Where did you come off the alt?Shows how little I know, but may help someone else also.T.I.A.

i would put those stock lift pumps in the garbage can. Spend the smaller amount of cash to get the raptor.using the stock lift pumps you seriously jeopardize killing the vp of which will cost you no less than $1200, most are over $1300-1400. I urge you not to use the stock lift pumps. I dont think you will find a single person on this forum that has a second gen with vp using stock lift pumps, or they are currently switching to a aftermarket lift pump.

• Like 2

I have two more stock Lift pumps to burn up before I get a Raptor. Anyhow, would it be okay to use an 85 amp continious duty mechanical type relay (you know the old style with contacts inside) instead of the solid state ones you guys are using? Wanna run the pump off the batteries or the Alternator like some are doing, but, don't understand.... doesn't the alt put out too much amps or volts till it goes thru the volt meter first?? Where did you come off the alt? Shows how little I know, but may help someone else also. T.I.A.

I might be wrong but i believe the Raptor comes with a wirng harness and relay. My AD did. I connected right to the supply on the back of the alternator and grounded to the braket. You would get the same power if you cnnect to the battery or the PDC like some do. Wether the other relay would work or not i dont know.
  • Like 1

I might be wrong but i believe the Raptor comes with a wirng harness and relay. My AD did. I connected right to the supply on the back of the alternator and grounded to the braket. You would get the same power if you cnnect to the battery or the PDC like some do. Wether the other relay would work or not i dont know.

my raptor 150 has a harness that runs power from batteries to the pump via a relay controlled by the ecm plug just like airdog.

• Staff

Thanks Mike.:thumb1: I already have the big lines, draw straw and relocated oem pump so it's a breeze to install the new pump. I even have 1/2'' inch shut off valves in the fuel lines, one on each side of the pump for easy change out :thumbup2: no reprime.:hyper: No drain back to the tank either:tease:.That pump is a little bit of money. have to wait a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I moved my raptor back by the tank could I just make my own harness?

Good option to do to your truck. You can make your own harness but, may harm the ecm if you accidently hook up the wires backwards. I just would make sure it's correct It's best to have the ecm wires activate a relay and the pump then gets it's power directly from the power distribution panel or center. That way it won't burn up the expensive ecm if the pump decides to go bad. Read all the above posts carefully and you'll begin to understand how others did this. I do not like powering off something that's as sensitive as the ecm. It's $500 bucks to replace it. Although I think there is a way to set up the truck so you no longer need an ecm. Not sure about that yet... still trying to educate myself :smart: I only know from Mike that it's better to get the power for the pump from elsewhere.

any body got a digram of a wire harness I'm pretty good at wiring things up i think adding a relay would help a lot since i moved my pump back by the tank.

If you go digging around by where your lift pump is (on the block) you will see a two pronged cord, run the positive to a relay the ground to the other side using a real relay set up, then power directly off the PDC. I'll make note on adding this to my FASS guide when i get to finishing it this week.
  • Like 2

If you go digging around by where your lift pump is (on the block) you will see a two pronged cord, run the positive to a relay the ground to the other side using a real relay set up, then power directly off the PDC. I'll make note on adding this to my FASS guide when i get to finishing it this week.

I am a little lost on what you are saying i know where the two wires are on the side of the block I tied into them to run back to the raptor not sure how to wire a relay into it the last thing I want to do is burn up my ecm. if some body had a digram it would help a lot

I am a little lost on what you are saying i know where the two wires are on the side of the block I tied into them to run back to the raptor not sure how to wire a relay into it the last thing I want to do is burn up my ecm. if some body had a digram it would help a lot

You take the ECM positive and run it to the relay, that will then power the coil spring, to open the switch inside the relay, this switch then has the positive coming from the battery(or PDC), and the other side goes to the pump, the negative goes to the ground. Here is a link to a site with a relay explaining how it goes http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html If i was not tied up writing up this interrogatories i would have shot a how to video by now.