• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just checked my brake shoes and notice grease inside the hub and drum assembly on the left rear. No dust at all in the assembly. The right rear side was full of dust. I suspect it to be the oil seal. Only have 90k miles, is this a common problem at this mileage? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, is it very difficult to change the seal? I have a shade tree Mechanic and a repair manual to go by. Thanks.Mohok

rear axle seals are easy.. however, the brake shoe assembly will need removed to replace the seal. with hand tools, I've replaced the seals on both sides in under 2 hrs. Most of that was putting the springs back on the brakes, and tapping the nut off the retainer..

• Like 1

dont loose the little keyway. It locks the nut. mine has one on the dually maybe you dont. I would remove both tires and look at one side as a reference for the spring location or take a picture. If the springs go flyin it is hard to remember if you dont do it too often.

• Like 1

Just checked my brake shoes and notice grease inside the hub and drum assembly on the left rear. No dust at all in the assembly. The right rear side was full of dust. I suspect it to be the oil seal. Only have 90k miles, is this a common problem at this mileage? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, is it very difficult to change the seal? I have a shade tree Mechanic and a repair manual to go by. Thanks. Mohok

Found out it was the left rear wheel cylinder and not the seal. Change out both rear wheel cylinders. Thanks to all for the replies. Mohok

cool deal! glad it's fixed

I see you are running 235/85R/16's the same as I. I calculate (stubby pencil) each fill up when towing. I use a 1.04 factor to compensate for the 235 vice the 245 recommended by Dodge. Does my 1.04 factor sound correct to figure my mileage?