• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Actually, the center hole isn't needed in the shims. It serves no purpose as fuel exits out the side of the injector body. I'm using solid shims in my injectors right now.The shims are 10mm in diameter. <- CORRECTION: The shims are 8.5mm in diameter. I just measured one.Regards,John L.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Correct.

They!re all the same diameter.

As stated before (for clarity), the thickness of each shim may vary.

John L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

John, 4 out of 5 injectors had 1 shim in them, while the remainder 2 had 2 shims ( Or washers to me) stacked one on top of the other. It seemed, by my naked eye, that the shims were almost the same in thickness. One of the single shim ones looking like it might be off by a hair. I was just wondering what they(the Shims) do? I dont understand what "pop" means actually? Im taking it the way you all are telling me is that it is the fuel delivery?:shrug:

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

Also do you know what the ft/lbs it takes to reassemble them? I think its 32ft/lbs.

John, 4 out of 5 injectors had 1 shim in them, while the remainder 2 had 2 shims ( Or washers to me) stacked one on top of the other. It seemed, by my naked eye, that the shims were almost the same in thickness. One of the single shim ones looking like it might be off by a hair. I was just wondering what they(the Shims) do? I dont understand what "pop" means actually? Im taking it the way you all are telling me is that it is the fuel delivery?:shrug:

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

Also do you know what the ft/lbs it takes to reassemble them? I think its 32ft/lbs.

They put different washer thicknesses in to get the exact pop pressure that they need. Some injectors can get away with 1 standard size some need 2 different standard size shims. I cleaned JOHNFAK's up for him and they were the stock ones and half of them had 2 shims as well. Oddly enough, if you measured the 2 shims together, their thickness was the same as the 1 shim in the other injectors. I don't know if cummins was out of the single thick shim or what :lol:

I made this just now for you.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOXmZkpOIY8

• Like 1

They put different washer thicknesses in to get the exact pop pressure that they need. Some injectors can get away with 1 standard size some need 2 different standard size shims. I cleaned JOHNFAK's up for him and they were the stock ones and half of them had 2 shims as well. Oddly enough, if you measured the 2 shims together, their thickness was the same as the 1 shim in the other injectors. I don't know if cummins was out of the single thick shim or what :lol:

I made this just now for you.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOXmZkpOIY8

ISX, Thank You!! The video was so good even the wife made me show her, seeing she owns a cummins too. We found that quite interesting and informative!!:thumbup2::thumb1:

--- Update to the previous post...

ISX, one more thing what is the ft/lbs needed to reassemble the injector? I think Mopar1973 said 30 ft/lbs, but Im unsure.:doh:

ISX, where can I find a pop tester and the fittings for our injectors?

I'll have to dig up where I got the tester later on but I had planned to get a 24V adapter and couldn't find it anywhere. I looked and looked and said screw it. I would start looking for that first..

ISX, where can I find a pop tester and the fittings for our injectors?

The best place to look for a good deal on one is probably eBay. I watched eBay for awhile and ultimately netted a heavy duty Army surplus injector tester made by Kiene Diesel (a Model DT-1300). post-11551-138698184255_thumb.gif It's capable of producing up to 7,500 psi, but mine has a 0-5,000 psi gauge. It came in a nice metal storage case complete with accessories. This illustration shows a sample setup when in use. post-11551-138698184261_thumb.jpg When testing 24v Bosch injectors, you must use a Miller SPX 8301 adapter. I bought one on eBay also. post-11551-138698184274_thumb.gif Best regards, John L.