• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Share your RV mods...

• Owner

Kind of like my setup too I wanted to keep the amount of cables and cords to a minimum by hidding them with the VHS player in its cubby. But right now I got the TV stored in the dining bench. So everytime I walk in I see that darn cable laying there... Oh well... Still it would be much nicer to just have a flat screen mounted to the wall... :whistle2:

• Staff

That's the part that amazes me, the 26" LCD TV is standard, yet the camper is wired like it's an option. The 120V plug and coax are exposed when they don't need to be. Thou the benefit to the exposed 120V plug is I can plug it into my little 300W inverter and put on a movie without the generator running. The 12V plug is adjacent to the 120V TV outlet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a slide in camper and it has 12-30 watt lights inside and uses a total of 360 watts when all the lights are turned on.I changed them all out to LEDs. I used the ones that give me a brighter color (white rather than the yellow incandesant soft color) and higher lumen output than the stock 30 watt incandesant bulb.I can now turn all the lights on and read and do fine hand work anywhere in the camper and I can see great. My load is about 40 watts total now. Great power savers and very bright light.These work great and I am very happy with the results.

post-11041-138698187263_thumb.jpg

I modded the Propane hold down. It was impossible for gimpy clutzy self to get the full tank under the hold down. I added a double nut & washer with a spring and then a sleeve (keeps the regulator from jamming the works) to get the lift under the hold down bracket. Then, when the down pressure is released, the spring lifts the clamp enough to get the new tank in there. When the top wing nut is tightened, the spring is compressed & the tank hold down works normally.

Posted Image

PS I think I discussed this before but I couldn't find the post. Here's a pic since I had the cover off

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked having a digital battery reading (on the solar kit). I'm not planning to keep the solar kit. (3 15watt Harbor Freight panels for total of 45watts) It was a very well made set but not enough wattage for an active camper (9 days). I just ordered digital read out guages... cheapest prices direct from China... off E-Bay / Paypal to my CC. I can wait the up to 3 weeks shipping. I figured the electronics would be made in China no matter where I bought it & wanted to save the markup. I'll let you know. Ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Digital-LED-Auto-Car-TRUCK-SYSTEM-Voltmeter-Gauge-Voltage-Volt-Meter-/220974117118?hash=item33731570fe&item=220974117118&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr I think it will be useful as a test guage. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-24V-Red-Digital-LED-Car-Auto-Voltmeter-Voltage-Gauge-Tester-Volt-Meter-/120895807320?hash=item1c25f39f58&item=120895807320&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr I plan to install one on a switch in the camper. I plan to install a second on my 24Volt mobility scooter.

• Staff
Just ordered one!! I have a single 10w solar panal and it really doesn't do much on a camping trip, just there for between trips. When camping it does keep the voltage topped off on a sunny afternoon if I run the gen for an hour or two. My hard start cap showed up yesterday, planning to put it in this weekend, with pics.

I needed a grab bar & a towel bar for the camper shower. I bought 2 Peerless grab bars 16" & 24" at Wally World yesterday thinking the shorter one would go in the shower to hold face cloths, & the longer one vertically along the edge of the tub. Today I took the 16" one back & bought a second 24" bar. The 16" hit the molded in bumps on the back of the shower... the 24" can be shortened to fit. If I don't hit studs (not likely) I'll bolt through the partition for strength. The verticle one will be outside the tub & interferes with the molding. Either a) a spacer block underneath b) cut out the molding. I'm going to go for b). More details to follow.

In keeping with my "take a chance" program (expecting some lemons but also hoping for some success)... I have been thinking of converting the trailer... at least partially... to low draw LED internal cabin lighting. USA sources are very costly. After a lot of searching I decided to, once again, take a chance on China... Shipment can take 30 days, but I can afford the delay. I'm using PayPal through my Credit Card... they keep wanting to charge direct to my BANK accounts & I change the setting to go to the CC for the protections afforded. Lumins are not listed though I've asked the seller for this data. (2) "bulbs" quanity for $1 + $3.30 shipping (no discount on multiples) for a cost of $4.30 / 2 or $2.15 ea. I made a test order & will see how the product is. If the product is acceptable, I'll order enough for the whole trailer! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-36-LED-1156-Park-Rear-Stop-Turn-bulb-light-Bright-/170761858185?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c2332c89 Russ

In keeping with my "take a chance" program (expecting some lemons but also hoping for some success)... I have been thinking of converting the trailer... at least partially... to low draw LED internal cabin lighting. USA sources are very costly. After a lot of searching I decided to, once again, take a chance on China... Shipment can take 30 days, but I can afford the delay. I'm using PayPal through my Credit Card... they keep wanting to charge direct to my BANK accounts & I change the setting to go to the CC for the protections afforded. Lumins are not listed though I've asked the seller for this data. (2) "bulbs" quanity for $1 + $3.30 shipping (no discount on multiples) for a cost of $4.30 / 2 or $2.15 ea. I made a test order & will see how the product is. If the product is acceptable, I'll order enough for the whole trailer! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-36-LED-1156-Park-Rear-Stop-Turn-bulb-light-Bright-/170761858185?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c2332c89 Russ Russ

Most of the LEDs come from Asia I think. I tried a few cheap ones but didn't get any life out of them. I think one of the things you need to watch for is whether the LEDs are voltage regulated (meaning can handle voltage variations). The LEDs don't use much power (but unless they are regulated the life is real short). So I am guessing that if the units you bought are regulated to operate at something like 10-30 volts then you should be ok with them. The potential problem with really cheap LED 12volt lights is there is no room for the regulation feature in the really low price range. Good luck and let us know how they work out.
  • Like 1

Thanks John,What you are saying makes a lot of sense. The digital volt guages I ordered have a range to 30 volts. The 1156 bulb replacements I ordered for ~$2 ea do not have that spec. On the other hand, the 1156 bulb replacements are intended (by me) ONLY to replace cabin lights in the RV... would only be used at night and sparingly at that. The RV only has battery bank power when off the grid, so is regulated by the available battery power. The thing to check would be the Volts while plugged into shore power, presumeably regulated to 13.x When I charge off the generator, it is through the shore power connection. In fact, wouldn't our truck lights be considered self-regulated by the "voltage regulator" old school or "ECM" in modern vehicles? If the bulb is successful, I would consider using one in the head light (24 volt) on my mobility scooter, though it needs re-engineered aiming. Thankyou for the useful information. Perhaps the voltage needs to be regulated more tightly than 30 volts... I saw one digital volt guage advertized (I didn't buy) that specified that 24 volts should be used only intermittantly.

• 2 weeks later...

The LED test order from China arrived... 1 week!!... in a brown bubble pack envolupe with several wraps of foam cushion around the bulbs. They look really nice. I can't wait to try them. I was in the RV place yesterday & saw some cards by the register with flat type LED lamps... I didn't bother checking the price... guess I should have taken the time. At the RV place... I bought a spare sparker for the propane fridge... it could save a vacation trip! We went 9 days, never bought any ice & were making ice for our daily needs. Lesson learned!!ADDITIONAL:OK, after dark... headed out to the camper to try out these new LED bulbs. The light is definately whiter... but I would judge to be noticeably less bright than the conventional bulbs they replace. I was hoping for the same or slightly more light at fewer amps... they do not fulfull that. I am disappointed but not MAD as I knew this sample was an experiment & these are the results. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! But I have spent a few dollars to gain knowledge which I share with you. There are the correct number of small LEDs & the ad never stated the lumens. I don't find them acceptable for primary light in the RV, I doubt that Sheila will either (and we don't over lamp at home either!). I would not consider them acceptable for auto/truck tail lights, backup lights either. I will use these as background lighting in the RV, but not as primary lights on a work space. I will NOT order more of these units.

I'm assuming... yeah, I know... the AC only runs on shore power? I should have checked my circuit panel instead of asking dumb questions. Since heat sets my MS off, Sheila asked what it takes to run the AC. I imagine it must take shore power or a real generator. (My 6500 is still broke & my battery charge generator is just 1000.) I am interested in the AC capasator... Nephew works in HVAC so I'm sure we could get it installed.

The LED test order from China arrived... 1 week!!... in a brown bubble pack envolupe with several wraps of foam cushion around the bulbs. They look really nice. I can't wait to try them. I was in the RV place yesterday & saw some cards by the register with flat type LED lamps... I didn't bother checking the price... guess I should have taken the time. At the RV place... I bought a spare sparker for the propane fridge... it could save a vacation trip! We went 9 days, never bought any ice & were making ice for our daily needs. Lesson learned!! ADDITIONAL: OK, after dark... headed out to the camper to try out these new LED bulbs. The light is definately whiter... but I would judge to be noticeably less bright than the conventional bulbs they replace. I was hoping for the same or slightly more light at fewer amps... they do not fulfull that. I am disappointed but not MAD as I knew this sample was an experiment & these are the results. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! But I have spent a few dollars to gain knowledge which I share with you. There are the correct number of small LEDs & the ad never stated the lumens. I don't find them acceptable for primary light in the RV, I doubt that Sheila will either (and we don't over lamp at home either!). I would not consider them acceptable for auto/truck tail lights, backup lights either. I will use these as background lighting in the RV, but not as primary lights on a work space. I will NOT order more of these units.

Ya, I have had some very bad product come from China when ordered directly from there. Sorry the LEDs are not going to work. I have resorted to only ordering LEDs from sites where I can see the specs and can choose specifically what I want (i.e. lumens, light color, regulated etc.) They cost more but I am really happy about them. If we lived closer I would show you how much light I have and how bright it is. People are shocked when they come inside and see my light output compared to the incandescent bulbs in their units. Good luck with your LED search.