• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

thinking about putting a fuller 10 speed behind my cummins.....wutcha think??

well, I've wanted a manual since day one, but the price tag on the truck I got with an auto was hard to pass up....now that my 47re is giving me grief, I'm debating a manual conversion, but I dont really want to dump a bunch of cash into a conversion with an nv4500 or 6500, the 47re can be beefed up to out preform either of the manuals for our trucks, but getting a built auto will put me at about the same price as a manual conversion.....so why not put a tougher manual in it!?!? I did a bit of lookin and can get ahold of a eaton fuller rto 6610 pretty cheap! I'll have to throw some taller gears under it so I can get some speed and fuel economy out of it, and probly have to put a leveling kit to keep the front end from sagging, so it may wind up costing a bit more to go this route, but this way should give me a good, long lasting tranny that is way, WAY over rated....am I way off base here or does anyone else see the benefit of this....I wont lie, I may just be a bit.....:cookoo: any feed back on somethin like this, or if anyone has done/seen anything like this would be appreciated.....I did see a video of a 12v with a 10 sped behind it a long time ago, so i know its possible.....wutcha think?

on the Cummisn forum there is a thread about swapping a FSO into our trucks. IMO a 5,6,7 speed EF is the way to go. the 10 speeds are over kill, you won't even get to use it because its a 5 speed with a high low gear box. now, a good built trans with a billet flex plate, and input shaft will run you in the 4's and for that you know the truck will run like a top, unlike having to locate a SAE #2 bell housing, and rigging up a whole assembly for the swap, and even then it most likely won't run right. Here are some relevant threads for some light reading http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/476524-another-write-up-swapping-47re-nv4500.html http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/41978-nv5600-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.html

NV4500 to NV4500 to RTOO9513, yup. Decided after a "fixed" 5th gear departed and then I took teeth off 5th, the 4500 wasn't for me.The small case 6 and 7 speeds may be an easier swap, but what I did was hardly "hard". It all bolts up... Just have to make the floor work above it.I rarely split the top side, but I wanted the double over to help make up for the 4.10 gears. I'd still love to put 3.55s in, I have plenty of low gear options that see little use. Empty I start in 4th.

NV4500 to NV4500 to RTOO9513, yup. Decided after a "fixed" 5th gear departed and then I took teeth off 5th, the 4500 wasn't for me. The small case 6 and 7 speeds may be an easier swap, but what I did was hardly "hard". It all bolts up... Just have to make the floor work above it. I rarely split the top side, but I wanted the double over to help make up for the 4.10 gears. I'd still love to put 3.55s in, I have plenty of low gear options that see little use. Empty I start in 4th.

AWESOME!!! I knew it would bolt up! I mean, they use fuller trannys in ISB's soooo.....alright, I'm gunna need on board air, I should probly throw some different gears in the diff and beef up the flywheel and what not while I'm in there, anything else you can think of off hand? Any idea if a small case would fit under it without chopping the floor? I liked the idea of the double over drive and of having a tranny thats way over rated but if i don't have to hack away at my floor boards, the 7 speed aught to be tough enough....I don't want to deal with this again...EVER!!

If the small case Eatons use a SAE #3 bell housing, maybe. Keep searching, there is at least one guy who put a baby 6 or 7 in his Ram, he's got a thread on I think CumminsForum. Pretty sure there were still floor mods. If you can find a clutch housing that keeps the starter on the driver side you'll have an easier time and probably get to leave your exhaust alone. Most SAE setups have passenger side starters though. Read my thread, find the 2-3 other ones out there, an you'll be in good shape.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see this thread develope. We've lost 5th gear in our 98 1ton 2wd on the farm a few times now. The first time was under warranty and the second was not. It's seen 14k pounds with a 24ft goose neck for 350k miles now. It's too good of a truck to get rid of, so when the trans goes out again I'd like to know whether or not these transmissions would make for a good replacement.

It would be really nice if Ram came out with a double OD 7 Speed. I'd like a .82 and a .62 and 3.90's in the pumpkins!

Why not a single OD and 3.72 or 3.55? I see zero advantage to more overdrive and less gearing versus the other way around, all things being equal.

• Staff

Why not a single OD and 3.72 or 3.55? I see zero advantage to more overdrive and less gearing versus the other way around, all things being equal.

Low rpm/speed/gear operation. Grated you can play with the trans gears to get the same overall gearing with taller rear end gears, but to get the same 1st gear performance out of 3.42 (3.55 not an option on a 3rd gen) you would need a 6.76:1 first, which is possible just a larger gear than they use now.

• Staff

True, but by making a setup work great with 4.10's, you can then put it in front of taller gears and make the people who don't tow happy. If you gear the trans for 3.42's, then you end up with low, lower, and super low!Heat is another reason, if you put all of your gear reduction in one box then you put all of your heat there too. May as well spread it out.