• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low MPG's on 1993 Dodge Cummins - VE pump

• Owner

I've got a stock 1993 Dodge Ram 3/4 Truck 4WD that is expreiencing low MPG's. The power is OK for a automatic trans truck but the MPG's are like 15-16 MPG. The VE pump is un-toucked and un-changed still is stock configuration. Valves have been adjusted and they are good. Injectors where pulleed and cleaned up the best I can but still low MPG's. Also now having issues with white smoke at start up. Roughly 350K on the clock.Need some ideas gang... :shrug:

• Owner

It only a startup white smoke its gone shortly after starting the engine cold. Kind of like a grid heater or maybe wore injector. I did pull the out they had signs of been wore. I thought the first time it did it was from possible air rin the line figure it would clear shortly after and didn't. Being I did pul lthe injectors that where i'm planing on double checking.

Hi Mike.....it sounds like an injector problem. The stock Bosch injectors get a little tired. Had mine re/re'd at 320k, and they have been good.....at 485k now. One thing that really cleans up the mileage and makes my 12V run like it should ....... heavy dose of good quality lube/injector cleaner, about 800lbs of load, and a heavy throttle on a run to Prince George from my home in Ladysmith, B.C.Congrats on the '93 First Gen ....... they have an un-subtle charm......Greg

mopar man- i dont know if you put any 2 stroke in it yet but man it made a heck of a difference when i had my first gen. I got about 1 MPG and it just ran so much smoother, the bosch VE pump doesnt really like the new low sulfur diesel. not enough lube in it. have you looked at your fuel pressures at all? if so what are you getting out of the LP?