• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

slight surging type of feeling...

I "think" I've asked this before, but I can't remember..For about a year now, my truck will have a 'surging' feeling under light/part throttle. This is very noticable as of lately, seems to be getting worse over time. no codes.If I'm in 6th, at 50-60mph, you can really feel it, as well as hear it in the turbo-whistle..If I set the cruise, it stops doing it.This leads me to believe it's the TPS, but I am unsure..I don't want to make a $180-200 guess.

I am by far no expert on this but it seems to me when I set my cruise that it does not use the tps to hold speed, since the throttle pedal returns to the idle position and there is no mechanical connection to the linkage. The ECM controls it on its own is what I am thinking. If that is the case and the TPS is bad, the engine runs right when the cruise is set because the ECM bypasses the TPS.This is of course if your cruise is elctronic like the 01 FSM says it should be.

Does it change if you turn the edge off or up/down?

I'll check that out in the morning, as I an not really sure.. I know 2-3, it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

I am by far no expert on this but it seems to me when I set my cruise that it does not use the tps to hold speed, since the throttle pedal returns to the idle position and there is no mechanical connection to the linkage. The ECM controls it on its own is what I am thinking. If that is the case and the TPS is bad, the engine runs right when the cruise is set because the ECM bypasses the TPS. This is of course if your cruise is elctronic like the 01 FSM says it should be.

Yeah, I think this is the case..

Just thinking outloud here. Bring it up to the speed where it starts surging set the cruise. Then if it stops surging, leave the cruise set and pick up the throttle until is over takes the cruise and see if it start surging again. That would make me think it was the TPS. Of course if the edge is the problem that is a differant story.

I "think" I've asked this before, but I can't remember.. For about a year now, my truck will have a 'surging' feeling under light/part throttle. This is very noticable as of lately, seems to be getting worse over time. no codes. If I'm in 6th, at 50-60mph, you can really feel it, as well as hear it in the turbo-whistle.. If I set the cruise, it stops doing it. This leads me to believe it's the TPS, but I am unsure.. I don't want to make a $180-200 guess.

Describing my situation almost to a tee! Except you left out the part of it doing it worse in colder or damp weather.(mine seems to). I contacted Timbo and explained the situation to him, he said also about the ECM controling the cruise control, leading him to believe it's an Apps issue. Ordered one Friday :pray:

Describing my situation almost to a tee! Except you left out the part of it doing it worse in colder or damp weather.(mine seems to). I contacted Timbo and explained the situation to him, he said also about the ECM controling the cruise control, leading him to believe it's an Apps issue. Ordered one Friday :pray:

dobie, i did leave that part out, but you're EXACTLY right. Definitely seems WAY WORSE when it's colder (sub 60*F) or rainy/humid outside. I should probably go ahead and order one before it leaves me sitting... Or worse, while towing..

• 2 weeks later...

Put my new Timbo App sensor on today..it's a nice day out so as previously I posted about weather affecting my surge i'll be a slight bit hesitant to say it's fixed...so i'm going to say i'm giving a big :thumbup2: for "no" surging whatsoever now when I took it for a test run. :woot:

......odd:think:. I"m often heading into the Southwest dez area, where my 'surge' problem seems to get worse with heat. But everything else you guys have sounded off on, has described my prob to a tee. Anxious to hear how the new APS/TPS works.

yes please. find out how much and if he wants to sell it.

Couldn't find this thread after - yeah he has a good one and will sell - not sure if it's the timbo or the old stock one ( as timbo didn't fix) let me know and will give you his details

• 2 weeks later...

....ok, got my Timbo APS/TPS the other day, installed it right away. Followed the instructions.

He writes them so even us not so smart guys can follow them :drool:

Took all of 2 hours and 3 nieghbors watching me, to finish. Funny how I drank an 18 pack, but tasted like I only drank 2

After an 8 mile drive, the difference was noticed RIGHT AWAY. Gone is the surge and strangely enough, I think my (according to onboard computer) mileage has increased slightly. Keeping fingers crossed THATS over.

....ok, got my Timbo APS/TPS the other day, installed it right away. Followed the instructions.

He writes them so even us not so smart guys can follow them :drool:

Took all of 2 hours and 3 nieghbors watching me, to finish. Funny how I drank an 18 pack, but tasted like I only drank 2

After an 8 mile drive, the difference was noticed RIGHT AWAY. Gone is the surge and strangely enough, I think my (according to onboard computer) mileage has increased slightly. Keeping fingers crossed THATS over.

i use to work out west of Phoenix for awhile..and the beers gon down easy...120 degress..2 to 5 percent humidity...yummy!!!!!!