• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil pressure sensor

My grandpa's truck has a faulty oil pressure sensor. Soon as you turn the kew on it shoots up to 75psi. Found the oil presure sensor but dont have the right size socket to remove it. Does anybody know the right size and best place to get a new sensor. I think Geno's will have the best price at $89. His dodge is a 2001 w/cummins of course.:woot:

My grandpa's truck has a faulty oil pressure sensor. Soon as you turn the kew on it shoots up to 75psi. Found the oil presure sensor but dont have the right size socket to remove it. Does anybody know the right size and best place to get a new sensor. I think Geno's will have the best price at $89. His dodge is a 2001 w/cummins of course.:woot:

don't quite know the size:shrug:, but i know the fitting that is used to remove a bathroom shower valve stem will work. After i replaced mine, everytime i accelerate the needle on my gage panel moves toward the right. It never happend with the stock. Any ideas?

There is an outlet on the leftside of the engine about midway just above the oilpan. I still have sensor there for my old booster pump. the pump was designed to come on at 5 or 10 psi so not to overwhelm the VP as I remember. I think there is a plug there but dont remeberpost-10340-138698187687_thumb.jpgThis is apicture of the where I had it connected.

• Like 1

He is thinking about just getting a mechanical gauge but we dont know where to hook it up at.

For a mechanical oil pressure guage ? I think most people just use the tets port on the oil filter dont they - right next to the turbo feed line.
  • Like 2

The socket needed for the sender is 1 1/16" six point EXTRA deep. I bought a cheap six point deepwell socket and cut the end off that the ratchet goes in. Then I used another socket about the same outside diameter and welded them together. WALLA!! Extra deep socket!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you use the top of the oil filter be sure to use a 0-100 psi gauge. Cold right off the oil pump you will see almost 100 psi. The middle of the block on the left side you won't see even 70 psi.

I used the port on top of the oil filter for my after market gauge. Works good.

don't quite know the size:shrug:, but i know the fitting that is used to remove a bathroom shower valve stem will work. After i replaced mine, everytime i accelerate the needle on my gage panel moves toward the right. It never happend with the stock. Any ideas?

I have heard that the early 2000's for the cummins is when dodge started switching sending units. The early ones were actual pressure senders, the later ones were just a pressure switch. As long as there was like 20 psi the pressure switch would throw a number up on the gauge. This might explain the change in pressure readings.

I used the port on top of the oil filter for my after market gauge. Works good.

I have heard that the early 2000's for the cummins is when dodge started switching sending units. The early ones were actual pressure senders, the later ones were just a pressure switch. As long as there was like 20 psi the pressure switch would throw a number up on the gauge. This might explain the change in pressure readings.

My daughter's '98 12v is the same way. Pressure gets below 20 psi and the gauge goes to zero.