• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So now that I have my fuel system upgraded, I am going to be putting in 75 hp nozzles. My injectors seem to be good, plenty of power, 22 mpg empty, so my question is can I send my injectors out and just have the nozzles replaced and them pop tested and adjusted? From the sounds of it, when people buy new injectors for their trucks they send in the old injectors for core deposit, so I am assuming that the old ones are rebuilt and sold to someone else. :think: Some time this week I am hoping to get into town to a diesel shop to drop the injectors and tips off, so I guess that I am hoping that this will work and I can get a few more ponies out of the Ram. I am not sure how many miles are on the current injectors, I purchased the truck with 316,xxx miles on it and it is now around 350,xxx, but the previous owner took very good care of it, but did not modify it at all.

If you are going to pull them out, why not just send them to a reputable company for coes and have new one sent to you. DDP have been around for a while and make a quality injector but they have a premium price tag as well. My injectors came at a good price and run great with very little smoke. I have never hit 1200 degrees one a wide open run even with a sled hooked up with the comp on 2x5 and a stock hx35. Here is what they looked like when I got them.

post-10176-138698188095_thumb.jpg

I had thought about that but I am on a limited income so I am trying to make upgrades with out spending a lot of money. I figured that I would be able to reuse my injectors, just have the tips changed and have them pop tested and set. I know sometimes it cost more money to do it cheap, but sometimes it does not need to cost a lot of money to do it right. There is a diesel shop in town that says they can pop test the injectors and set them to the correct pressure, I thought that I might find out it anyone has done it this way and how hows it worked? I might be the first but I do not think so. I will let people know how it works for me, I know it will not be the be the way everyone wants to do it, but it might be a good alternative for some people.

I've got DAP 75hp sticks. I bought the injectors first, paid for the core and then sent them in after I was done replacing them. Cost more money initially, but I did not have much down time. But you get your core deposit back anyways.Their the cheapest people to go through and they and also other people convinced me they were good enough to go through.They gave me an extra 2+ mpg increase as was stated and she gets up and goes when I need her to! A little smoke on startup and sometimes a little finnicky in the cold, but other then that, they perform like they should!Its whatever route you wanna take with them.. Your probably gonna be on the right side in the end anyways!

• Like 2

Maybe I should send them to you thracing? I might if this shop does not work out. I am thinking that it will, they say they do a lot of injectors, but of course they are not positive about the CTD. Here are pictures of what I just took out. They go from #1 to #6.post-10349-138698188167_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188106_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188115_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188124_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188135_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698188151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did they give you a price for pop test and ddp nozzles? Lee at contagious will send them to you and not charge you for a core if you send them back to him in a timely manor. He quoted my $350 plus cores for rv275 and I gave the same for my 7x.010 last year but he has went up a little in the last month.

I have already purchased the nozzles, they cost $150, the diesel shop said that to replace the nozzles and pop test them it would be about $100. I should be into it about $250, it will take a week or so, which is fine as I do not drive the truck very much at all. I work 6 days a week, only go to town once a week and have another vehicle to drive into town. Time is not as important as money, so I figure to save a few bucks I could let my truck set for a few extra days.

I have already purchased the nozzles, they cost $150, the diesel shop said that to replace the nozzles and pop test them it would be about $100. I should be into it about $250, it will take a week or so, which is fine as I do not drive the truck very much at all. I work 6 days a week, only go to town once a week and have another vehicle to drive into town. Time is not as important as money, so I figure to save a few bucks I could let my truck set for a few extra days.

geese, i think when i ordered my 60's they were only 300 or so. How much are you indeed saving?

I should save around $100 or so. For a set of 75 hp injectors the lowest price I found was $350, so I am looking at $250 when I get them back. I know that it will take about a week, but to me it is not that big of a deal as my truck can sit for months on end and not be used. I only go to town once a week in my personal vehicle and I have a Jimmy that I take since it is a little better on fuel and is a gas rig so it is cheaper to buy gas than diesel. Six days a week I have the ranch truck to use and do not need to drive my truck. If it where my dd then it would be different and I would want to get it back on the road as fast as possible, but for me that is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my injectors back from the shop this evening :hyper:. Had time to install them, put the truck back together, bleed the lines and start the truck. I have not taken it for a test drive yet as it is late and I have to be up early in the morning. I hope to take it out tomorrow, not sure how much of a difference I will notice empty, but I will see. Having the shop do the work only set me back $70. So for $220 total, I should gain at least 60 hp to the wheels :drool:. The shop did take longer than I had expected, but as I have said before my truck will sit for weeks on end without moving, so it was not a big deal. I will need to get my boost elbow set for around 30 psi and I already have a boost fooler installed, so I should be good to go :pant:. Just looked at my turbo and it is a hx-35, so that is good news, now I just hope that I am done with the mods for a while, I know I will find something else to put on the truck thought. I will post how much of a difference I notice, how well it tows with the extra power and what kind of mpg gains I see.

Just got my injectors back from the shop this evening :hyper:. Had time to install them, put the truck back together, bleed the lines and start the truck. I have not taken it for a test drive yet as it is late and I have to be up early in the morning. I hope to take it out tomorrow, not sure how much of a difference I will notice empty, but I will see. Having the shop do the work only set me back $70. So for $220 total, I should gain at least 60 hp to the wheels :drool:. The shop did take longer than I had expected, but as I have said before my truck will sit for weeks on end without moving, so it was not a big deal. I will need to get my boost elbow set for around 30 psi and I already have a boost fooler installed, so I should be good to go :pant:. Just looked at my turbo and it is a hx-35, so that is good news, now I just hope that I am done with the mods for a while, I know I will find something else to put on the truck thought. I will post how much of a difference I notice, how well it tows with the extra power and what kind of mpg gains I see.

If its running well after the install (no leaks) you should see a noticeable difference and be quite happy :)

Took a few day trip to Oregon. WOW, the injectors are very nice. Pulling most hills, did not even have to down shift. Weighting in at just over 15,000 to 17,000, I am very happy with the mods thus far. The only concern that I have is that the fuel pressure would really drop off at higher RPM's, not always, but sometimes. It would drop down to around 10psi, at which time I would get out of the throttle. I did hit 30 psi on the turbo two or three times, but I was not able to hold it at anything above 20 psi. My got around 15 mpg, averaging 60 mph. There is still some work to do, but so far I am liking the injectors:thumbup2:. Once I get the fueling problem solved, I think that I will be able to keep the turbo a little cooler, I was able to keep it just below 1200* on steep grades, only having to down shift on three of the hills. My stock clutch did not slip at all, but I was pretty easy on it knowing that that is the weak point right now. Can't wait to see what the mileage is empty, I was getting 22 so I hope to be close to 25 mpg. I am very happy the injectors, inexpensive but a lot of bang for the buck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like them. $70 for install is cheap if they are doing the work to clean them and raise pop off pressures. To get more boost you will want to restrict (not cut off) flow to the diaphragm on the wastegate (boost elbow or BD xhook if you have an hy)

The said that they pop tested them and they are good to go. So far they are working wonderfully, no problems with power at all. I have a boost elbow and a boost fooler, so I am not sure what is the exact problem with my boost, I have the hx turbo so I should be able to get plenty of boost. I will have to play with the elbow some, I think right now I have the screw all the way in so I might have to screw it out, it will be a while before I drive it again so I will play with it when I drive it. I do like the power and the extra mileage I am see so far. I will have to drive it some empty to see what improvements I am getting there, I am pretty good about being easy on the right pedal so that helps the fuel mileage. I will report back when I find out how my mileage is when empty but I think it might be around 24 mpg or so. Thanks for the tips, Jonathan.