• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans Gurus... How much can you really change line pressure?

My local Dodge trans expert is telling me that they can make modifications to the 47RE, but there aren't many ways to increase the line pressure a lot... At least, without making it very finicky. He said shift kits really are smoke and mirrors in regards to line pressure, as the computer will regulate things itself. He said you can increase the line flow rate but not significantly increase line pressure.

He is looking right at 3200 for a rebuild with billet input, 2500 without billet input and billet single clutch tq converter.

His modifications he lists are very much in line with what CajFlynn recommends and what Tim Holt recommends, aside from one thing. The local trans guy strongly recommends to adjust your bands at each fluid change (AS LONG AS ITS DONE RIGHT). I have always adjusted bands on my 518, 904 and 727 transmissions, but I do recall reading somewhere that Holt did not recommend anybody adjusting their bands. Hopefully I've been doing it right.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I really didn't post a question.... :think:

Heres the question. Does this make sense in regards to valve bodies and line pressure on the 47RE?

There is only one portion on here I can chime in on and the idea of adjusting your bands is true. Anytime you pull the trans pan for a flush and filter, the bands should be adjusted at the same time. Its a part of the preventative maintenance program.I believe anyone can do their band adjustment, you just gotta know how to do it. Even my Chiltons book tells me how to do band adjustment.

• Like 1

I have some gizmo from dtt on my third gen that increases line pressure.

Yeah same here. The DTT kit splices into the PCM and fools the voltage seen due to the increased line pressure. Its to prevent the truck going into limp mode (gov pressure sensor I think ) from too much line pressure (and voltage seen) with the aftermarket VBs . Most kits increase the line pressure to hold the clutches under increased HP/torque etc. I dont know the specific numbers - but I never heard of a higher than stock not using modified line pressures - its the 1st thing that generally recommended to be done. Think that alone should explain enough on that - just not what the upper limits really are ...... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/186150-47re-line-pressure-gov-pressure-issues.html This guys says hes running over 235psi -250psi in a race truck http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86478&page=2
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

you can also use a spring on your tv cable, or adjust the TV cable out a bit.although the biggest thing is like what DTT used a voltage regulator, which fools the pcm into thinking that it is stock voltage. thus stock line pressure, even though its bumped up.