• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So i recently installed some new rv275's and love them. However i need to rebuild or replace the turbo as i have high temps most of the time cruising at 65 no load or towing. I do need to test for air leaks but i am pretty sure i dont have any. At stock setting it will run 700-800 any setting above stock and im easily hitting 900+ when i step into the skinny pedal. on setting 5 it will make the turbo sing and barely the 30 psi i have it set for defuel but i can easily get it over 1200F if i want but dont like it. I do get a lot of smoke on the bottom end of each gear but once the turbo is spooled its not bad if any at all. the lag on the stocker is long though... It is stock turbo, BHAF, it does have a bit of radial play, no front to back shaft play and has never been off the truck in 175,000 original miles. Does anyone have a stock HX35 they want to sell of give away? Would it be better to upgrade to a garrett turbo http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/garrett/759361-0002.htm i have an exhaust brake that fits to the stock downpipe, not sure if it will work with a different turbo. i dont want to lose it. what say ye oh wise men of the cummins world? Rebuild stock turbo? $80 replace with garrett? $2000 upgrade impeller or compressor wheel? $ ??

So i recently installed some new rv275's and love them. However i need to rebuild or replace the turbo as i have high temps most of the time cruising at 65 no load or towing. I do need to test for air leaks but i am pretty sure i dont have any. At stock setting it will run 700-800 any setting above stock and im easily hitting 900+ when i step into the skinny pedal. on setting 5 it will make the turbo sing and barely the 30 psi i have it set for defuel but i can easily get it over 1200F if i want but dont like it. I do get a lot of smoke on the bottom end of each gear but once the turbo is spooled its not bad if any at all. the lag on the stocker is long though... It is stock turbo, BHAF, it does have a bit of radial play, no front to back shaft play and has never been off the truck in 175,000 original miles. Does anyone have a stock HX35 they want to sell of give away? Would it be better to upgrade to a garrett turbo http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/garrett/759361-0002.htm i have an exhaust brake that fits to the stock downpipe, not sure if it will work with a different turbo. i dont want to lose it. what say ye oh wise men of the cummins world? Rebuild stock turbo? $80 replace with garrett? $2000 upgrade impeller or compressor wheel? $ ??

Problem is you dont have enough fuel to go much over stock. So these turbos are your main choices hx35/hybrid/hx40/he351[xyz]/s300 hx35 should be good for where your at. If you want more and keep the juice turned up then he351/hybrid/super b (s300) Turbo LAG comes from not enough fuel or boost leaks. AH64ID runs a garrett and loves it ...... I dont think it would be worth it for you unless you were going at least to 150hp injectors If you want quickest spooling and yet support 450+HP then a he351. Exhaust brake is hardest part in terms of fitting as they have different flanges to the hx35.

• Owner

Like myself...* AirDog 150 (17 PSI @ WOT and 19 PSI @ idle)* BHAF* RV275 Injectors* Edge Comp (Set to KILL 5x5)* Straight Pipe 3"* HX35 Turbo (Elbowed to 35 PSI) * Jacobs Exhaust brake Mount to the turboTowing I can max out at 1,400*F if I was to stomp to the floor. But normal every day driving I see roughly 500-700*F rolling along at 55-60 MPH. So I'm not sure what you need to upgrade it more or less relearn you driving behaviour and most of the problems are driver induced...

i think mike nailed it for me, outside of the worn turbo i have been driving on the bottom of the engine trying to be easy on it with worn injectors. now if i drive it over 1500 rpm above 1st gear it doesnt smoke as much and i drive it further into the gear and that keeps the next gear in optimal range and minimal/normal smoke.now to get that damn clutch so i can use all that power under the hood... anyone got money i can have? lol

So i recently installed some new rv275's and love them. However i need to rebuild or replace the turbo as i have high temps most of the time cruising at 65 no load or towing. I do need to test for air leaks but i am pretty sure i dont have any. At stock setting it will run 700-800 any setting above stock and im easily hitting 900+ when i step into the skinny pedal. on setting 5 it will make the turbo sing and barely the 30 psi i have it set for defuel but i can easily get it over 1200F if i want but dont like it. I do get a lot of smoke on the bottom end of each gear but once the turbo is spooled its not bad if any at all. the lag on the stocker is long though... It is stock turbo, BHAF, it does have a bit of radial play, no front to back shaft play and has never been off the truck in 175,000 original miles.

Randy, I swear we have the same damned truck... yours (and it's oddity issues) sounds exactly like mine.