• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Things put in the back of your mind..come back to bite!

A while back I had my rear drivers side axle out to replace the wheel seal that was leaking and I noticed my backing plate was getting pretty ripe. Kind of said to myself, wonder when i'll have to replace that ? Found out tonight that it's now! :lol: Noticed the emergency brake was going alot further today and wasn't releasing well so I jacked it up tonight to adjust it, but noticed the star wheel for adjusting the shoes was sloppy. Thought I should take the rotor off and look ,and bam, backing plate was rotted off and the one side of the brake shoes let go. Looks like I know what I'll be doing in a couple days when my parts come :banghead:

• Owner

Glad I have never lived where rust was a problem, plus my truck is from AZ and the frame still looks new.

As you see in the pic below I've got rust on parts but nothing like Dobbienut... Yes Idaho uses plenty of salt and Mag-Cloride for the roads so I got a weekly wash schedule for my truck so I can keep the oxidation down as much as possible.

Posted Image

I wish I lived where rust wasn't an issue too. You can see in the picture where the shoe is laying how there's no support for it anymore

Geez... That is gone... You'll be looking for parts at a wrecking yard.

Wow, thats gonna be expensive.

Ordered my parts today. Direct from Dodge the backing plate and the emergency brake shoes and all the clips extra . comes all assembled and just put it on for $215. Will be here tomorrow. Looks like I know what I'm doing Saturday :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

figured while at the dealer tomorrow I may pick up the fluid to drain and refill my transmission. I see it's 9.5 pints, do most of you guys stick with the Mopar fluid for the NV5600 ? I'm in Canada so most likely can't get some of the brands you can get :shrug:

Well, got the backing plate on and all back together, but didn't get the fluid yet. Dealer wants a bit over $20/litre so I'm going to check Walmart before to see if they carry the proper Penzoil that I read can be used. Got a bonus at the dealer when I was there...was looking at a nice Cummins hat that I don't have yet and just asked how much it was out of curiosity. As I was walking out the door the guy threw it and said there you go! :hyper:

• 2 weeks later...

6 quarts?, ah you all have manual trans so dana 80 right? I did mine with valvoline synthetic 75W-140, didnt take that much in my 70. I am early 2001 manufacture date 6-2000, so i have drums, but you know they work awesome, just have to keep them adjusted. That is a great price from the dealer all assembled.

Hey, dobie..

If you have access to Royal Purple (what I run), here's info from their TS guys..

Good afternoon Rick,

For your 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins we recommend the following:

Manual Trans:

NV4500 Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90

NV6500 Royal Purple SynchroMax

Transfer Case:

Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle); 5.2 quarts;

(w/241HD w/ power take off)

Front Differential:

Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 4.25 quarts;

Rear Differential:

Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 5.05 quarts;

Power Steering:

Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12-oz bottle);

Posted Image

____________________________[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Posted Image[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Good morning Rick,

No, RP Max Gear includes the friction modifier additive for the limited slip differential clutches. If for some reason your differential seems to prefer a higher dose of friction modifier than what is included, (as evidenced by a shudder on slow tight turns) then there are some steps that can be taken to easily remedy the situation.

After the initial filling of the differentials with Max Gear for the first time, drive to a nearby parking lot and do 5 or 6 slow tight figure 8s. This works the new fluid in and forces fluid in between the clutches so they can be treated with the FM additive.

If after a period of highway type driving, you experience a shudder or noise upon making a tight slow tight turn, this would be an indication that your differential is one of the few that seems to prefer a higher dose of friction modifier than what is included in Max Gear.

At this point you can purchase some additional friction modifier from either your local Dodge/Ram dealer or some aftermarket limited slip friction modifier from your local parts store. Do not add the whole bottle since you are just trying to increase the dose that is in there already so as to be in the sweet spot. Just add about 2 ounces and re do the figure 8 procedure. This should take care of the shudder if it occurs after the initial fill. If it does not repeat the small dose adding of 2 ounces per treatment and redo figure 8s until he shudder is gone.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim

Royal Purple Synthetic Oils

Technical Services