• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am looking to put a after market filter set up on my truck and would like to get rid of the factory set up. If anyone has pictures that they could post that would be helpful. I have been looking at two different setups. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK109852-BLKH http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-MAX-Dual-Remote-Filter-Kit-p/drff.htm

I have installed an aftermarket filter/water seperator when I installed a Raptor 100. I keep the stock filter, it not only has a fuel heater, has 'WIF' warning light, but also adds extra filtration. I put my on the drivers side inner frame rail just behind my transfer case. It was a tight fit with the pump and dual filters, but I made it work somehow.post-10349-13869819031_thumb.jpg I got the base while doing scrap metal, but they are CarQuest filters, so you should be able to locate them there or at another parts store. My filters are just above the skid plate for the transfer case so the are somewhat protected, I could make another skid plate, but I do not do very much off roading with my truck so I feel safe with the way it is. I am sure that if you go with one of the other options that you will be happy with it, just take your time with the placement of them and you should have no problems. Good luck.

post-10349-138698190296_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, I think that I am going to go with the vulcan set up and get rid of the factory setup of together. Its doesnt get that cold where I live, and I am sure that there is alot of guys that are running in colder climates with airdog and fass filter units straight to there vp with out any problems.

• Staff

The Glacier cost's more due to the heater, which isn't cheap. This is the better Glacier and well worth the extra cash if you want to ditch the OEM setup. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK79852-BLKH Personally I would go with the Glacier, it's a much better setup with better f/w separation. If you do install the Vulcan I would not remove or bypass the OEM setup, as the OEM setup has better f/w separation than the P558000.

I dont know the reason why you're unhappy with the OEM fuel filter but no matter what you choose, DONT throw the OEM filter housing away. They cost around $1000 to replace.

One of the only other reason that I am looking at going a different route is because my factory one is starting to leak around the factory fuel heater plug.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the ideas, I think that I am going to go with the vulcan set up and get rid of the factory setup of together. Its doesnt get that cold where I live, and I am sure that there is alot of guys that are running in colder climates with airdog and fass filter units straight to there vp with out any problems.

Yep...fass 150 straight to my vp...no problems in the cold without the heater. If your diesel isn't affected by cold, I don't really see the need. Oddly enough, I live in Cold Lake, Alberta...they don't call it cold lake for nothing.

If the 2nd gens didn't have the APPS located where it is; y'all could plumb in GDP's 2 micron FF kit like on my 3rd gen..............under the intake horn and keep the OEM housing....................:2cents:

No issues...this is on my 98.5 which is not in my Sig. Most fuel up here is blended different in winter...Shell for certain sells a brand which in industry is called CP43...we know it simply as Vpower diesel. I'm not sure about the US but most places in Canada, diesel in winter is good to minus 40 We never hit that last year in town here, but we hit -38...lol If you're fuel is not gelled or frozen, I really don't see the need for a fuel heater-I could be wrong. I was driving my 98.5 last winter in -30c temps and no issues... Just my 2