• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/534021-stronger-pull-trans-cable-without-limited-throw.html

"Tightning the TV cable does nothing more than increase your trans pressure so that the trans governor needs more shaft RPM to overcome the increased pressure.Adjust it too tight & it won't want to shift & it will downshift too early"

I've done this. To get it to shift later, I almost have to run the TPS at around 1.6-1.8v.

Dang!! How comw every time I come up with something to help you shoot me down in flames??:cry::shrug:

So a week into having the replacement transmission, triple disk converter, and my valve body, the lockup is viscous (as expected).However, I still have the early shifting issue. TV cable is adjusted properly, etc.This weekend, Im going to try and stick the stock VB that came in the replacement trans back into it, and see how that does.

I don't remember...have you tried running a potentiometer and setting the shift point yourself?

yeah, I have. I had an odd issue, however, with after awhile, say cruising for 30-40minutes down the highway, it would disable OD all together. A cycle of the ignition is what it would often take to clear the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read this somewhere on the webz:

3-4 UPSHIFT OCCURS IMMEDIATELY AFTER 2-3 SHIFT

1. Overdrive Solenoid Connector or Wiring Shorted. 1. Test connector and wiring for loose connections, shorts or ground and repair as needed.

2. TPS Malfunction. 2. Test TPS and replace as necessary. Check with DRB® scan tool.

3. PCM Malfunction. 3. Test PCM with DRB® scan tool and replace controller if faulty.

4. Overdrive Solenoid Malfunction. 4. Replace solenoid.

5. Valve Body Malfunction. 5. Remove, disassemble, clean and inspect valve body components. Make sure all valves and plugs slide freely in bores. Polish valves with crocus cloth if needed.

1. Haven't checked this out

2. Replaced TPS

3. Replaced PCM

4. Hmm...

5. I've done this. I have a replacement one that I can throw in, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick I've just did my break in service @ 5k on my HD rebuild & upgraded to the 48re. I have a Q for you. I've noticed before this service & now after that the tranny when pulling a load with OD off will up shift, down shift to 3rd & 4th around the 2 to 2.4k rpm range. To avoid this I put a little more fuel to it, increase RPMs, it down shift till it hits 2.5k rpm, then up shifts to 4th. I don't thing it should be doing this. Your thoughts please.

With the OD in the "OFF" position, it should shift 1, 2, 3, LU. If you then turn the OD "ON", it will unlock, then go into OD, then lockup again.2500 rpm is high for it to shift at, under normal to moderate pedal travel. Have you checked your TV cable adjustment? Basically, you want it (the TV arm on the trans) "closed" or at the furthest point forward at idle. as soon as you start to move the throttle, the TV cable should start to move the arm. At WOT on the pedal, the TV arm should be at it's farthest point toward the rear of the trans.If it is too tight, this will cause a later shift into gears, as well as a more abrupt gear change.Is this what you are experiencing?

Yes, but only when under a load. the trans will not ossilate between 3 & 4 with no load... So I need to make sure TV cable is adjusted correctly, how about the throttle pressure/position and solenoids ?? Thanks for the help, been OT for a few weeks, will monitor thread daily now.