• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Found on the side of the road dead

jlwelding

My buddy called me saying his truck just shut down (half power) so I loaded up with my 32' Sure Pull and hauled him back. Heck of a ride, my trailer weight is 7k his 3/4 ton 4x4 got to weigh 9k loaded with air compressior two boxes of tools 16k total at least. Location in Llano Tx. a lot of steap little hills. Killer on my auto trans.,egts hit 1400 at one point:stuned: I hate my auto and the egt's in this 05. Will a Smarty Jr. help to lower egt's? this is way out wild on the egt.Anyway what this post is he has two codes po229 and po234, can anybody help?

Oh yea sorry about that His truck is a 05 3/4 ton and its got to be heavy, he has air compressor,60gal fuel tank, two steel boxes with flat fixing tools and just bunch of everything. My 01 3500 is 11k but I too have to much junk in the back plus a heck of a flat bed.

What year is your buddies truck? at 9000 pounds it sounds like he needs to go to a one ton. my 2nd gen is maxed out at 8800 I wouldnt wanna run around at that weight on a daily basis thats gotta be hell on his front end!

• Owner

Will a Smarty Jr. help to lower egt's?

No. Even my Edge Comp doesn't change EGT's either off or on. EGT's are controlled by speed and gears. Like I just returned back from a 4 day camping trip with the RV trailer and absolutley no big deal controlling EGT's climbing 6-7% grades. When I seen the grade coming I drop back one gear from 5th to 4th and kick the RPM's to 2000-2100 roughly 55 MPH and most times it would hover about 1,000-1,100*F but a few cases it did tip the 1,200*F mark but not for long. I'd played with my Edge Comp and turned it off on one grade still same EGT's no change of EGT's at all from off to KILL MODE on 5x5.

Lower Egt's is what there add says, I didnt figure it could be much if it did at all. But when she hit 1400 I thought dang maybe I will try it anyhow :shrug:

I have repeatedly hit 1500+( gauge max at 1500) for egt. It didn't matter with the edge on or off, still can hit it either way. The only way I know of to drop them is cooler air and more of it, or water injection. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I knew you'd pop in here! LOL

:moon::tease: Couldnt help it. Yeah I know how you guys feel ........ never had 1500 but I just hated EGTs and I knew I was being overconservative. Water methanol is a PITA if you ask me. So apart from going twins really the only other choice I see is oversizing the TURBO for the fuel - just slightly. And tuning. :thumbup2:

I would love to have twins, just haven't found anyone giving a set away yet. :D

yeah theres that :( Good thing is the stock turbo is almost always the best fit for mid range trucks. So main cost is in piping - if you an bend and weld - you can do pretty cheap. I cant - so it wasnt cheap :(

yeah theres that :( Good thing is the stock turbo is almost always the best fit for mid range trucks. So main cost is in piping - if you an bend and weld - you can do pretty cheap. I cant - so it wasnt cheap :(

My truck has the hy35 so I think it would have to go. Can bend and weld so the piping wouldn't be an issue. Buying the turbos and deciding which ones to use would be my issue. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

My truck has the hy35 so I think it would have to go. Can bend and weld so the piping wouldn't be an issue. Buying the turbos and deciding which ones to use would be my issue. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I researched this a good bit (with John's assistance) a little while back. If (when) I do this, I'm using my HX35 for the top charger, and an S400 for the bottom one. I've heard: 35 w/s400 will make about 500 or 550 with water/meth 35/40 w/s400 will do about 550 or 600 with water/ meth s300 w/s400 = 700HP

• 2 weeks later...

I researched this a good bit (with John's assistance) a little while back. If (when) I do this, I'm using my HX35 for the top charger, and an S400 for the bottom one. I've heard: 35 w/s400 will make about 500 or 550 with water/meth 35/40 w/s400 will do about 550 or 600 with water/ meth s300 w/s400 = 700HP

From what you have there I think I might go with the s300/s400 combo. Don't have that much power and never really plan to go that far, but would be nice to know I can if I want without spending money on parts again. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2