• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HVAC box removal

Guys,The heater core in my truck is toast, so will be changing it soon. (It will be 2 weeks from now or a bit more.... too much going on and the tractor is in the shop too....)I have studied Mike's video, but still have a couple questions.1. From the picture it looks like the steering column is dropped. Yes? (anything other than bag to watch out for?)2. I have a 5 speed. I can't tell, but it looks like Mike removed the shifter and part of the center console?3. Is there anything else I should do whilst having the dash out? I can't think of anything.(and you are right I have cheated and not looked at the FSM yet... edit noticed later that mike said the column was "layin" on the seat.)Thanks for the help!!Hag

• Owner

Driver side you need the take the knee bolster out, drop the steering column (2 bolts). Then on the kick panel there is a single bolt to loosen up but don't remove. Passenger side there is the same single bolt that is loosen up but not removed.Cup holder is removed and there is 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding the center of the dash.Then the 5-6 screws across the top of the dash too.Swing and hang the dash on the passenger "Oh-Crap Bar" with a cam lock strap this allows for up/down adjustments easy.

Sorry guys,I whined too early, most of it became more apparent at the end..... lol Sorry.I didn't know the stick came apart like that!!!! (but it was much more obvious as you showed later in the video!!!) (Mike I really like the hanging by the "oh snot" handle, that just seems perfect!)Rogan, Do you think it was worth it to remove entirely? how many more connectors and such to remove all? This is going to take time for me (no quickie) as I may do the exhaust brake and manifold and right front fender simultaneously.Thanks!!!!Hag

I will add a couple bits of info to this.1. When I re-installed my dash, the plastic clips for the bolts across top would break if I tightened the bolts any more than finger tight it seemed. So do not wrench on them to get them tight, just snug. Maybe even see if the FSM has torque specs? Either that or loctite them and finger tighten them up.2. The gear selector indicator. On the steering column, when you remove it and go to lay it down, this thin little wire can break somewhere along its assembly if you are not careful. If you break it, the orange tick on the gauges for the gear selector will not move and you wont know what gear your in.May be more of a nuisance than anything if you break it, but its a small thing to watch out for.

• Like 1

Bret,Thanks!!! I hadn't noticed from the pics before that the core slips out without splitting!! lol. I may split mine still though as I KNOW its nasty inside. Lots of fine red clay from construction sites. So I may totally disassemble it.Hag