• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

help on diagnosis.... 2000 ram ctd with 6 speed

ok, to some of you who have followed a couple of my posts in the last days... I have some more info on my problems:along with the intermittent check engine light, some engine surging, and dying at idle, (again, only occasionally)... I noticed the tach was bouncing from 0 up to actual engine speed. I shut it off while the tach was reading "0"..... and it would not restart. I tried in about 30 seconds, and it popped right off, and the tach was working fine.Today was the first time I actually got to 'test' drive this.. my son and wife are the ones who relayed the info to me, which I posted here.Today, I actually got to key the diagnostics.... and again I got the companion p1693... but nothing else. It just went back to Odometer.I purposely flogged this pickup today to get it to do what my family said it was... It ran hard up to redline in all gears... all the way to 100mph. after slowing to make the turn into my road, that is when the check engine light came on, and the tach started to bounce. Now what do I try? any help is greatly appreciated!Bob

will do! I see the plug for the cam... from underneath looking up, not too bad to get ahold of, but the crank sensor is another ball of fun huh? I'll let it cool off a little before getting too carried away.I hate the smell of burned flesh.. (especially mine!)I gotta ask, why cant I get the other code, along with the P1693? Is there one hidden that only a reader/scanner can extract??

I have read Michael's post and watched the video on snagging codes.... and just to make sure I'm doing it correctly, just how long does it take from P done (1st) until the second half? I've waited for about 15-20 seconds..... but after the P done, (1693 ) it goes back to odometer.Also, would it be a good idea to change up my lift pump now... BEFORE my vp44 renegotiates it's status?got about 200k on the clock now.. I'm running bone stock, either a 95 gpm FASS or 100 AD should do the trick eh? would I just pull fuel through the oem pump... or does it need to be eliminated?what is a good scanner... I might as well take the plunge.. I am almost 70 miles from the closest town with a chain type parts store.. Cripes.... between the tractor, this pickup... and now my son's Neon is sitting with a dead pump.... I"LL NEVER get to work on my hobby! (fixing cars)...

what is a good scanner... I might as well take the plunge.. I am almost 70 miles from the closest town with a chain type parts store.. ...

MoparMan recommends a ScanGauge, but you can also check out UltraGauge - which is about 1/2 the cost, and has many of the same capabilities - including both real time monitoring AND reading codes! (I have one each, and haven't figured out which I like more!!]

Something UltraGauge will not be able to do... ScanGauge II is going to be capable of data-logging and using USB cable to dump logged information to a personal computer. http://www.pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/USB.htm Something to aid in deciding on which to buy... :whistle:

Great point - one I hadn't discovered when reading the lengthy manuals for each!